Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trailing a deer last night I went through a low area that had been clear cut several years... Probably a 20 acre area. It was never replanted but some volunteer pines are in it between six to fifteen feet tall and spaced out. It is mostly a lot of brush that looks like gall berries. This place was loaded with trails and tons of deer droppings everywhere. Almost every couple of steps was another pile. Have I found a honey hole or what? I have never really seen this in such a concentrated amount. Let me know what you guys think

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,523 Posts
Sorry, I'm a non hunter.

But if I found a spot with a lot of dear activity, whether scat or rubs... I'd set up a stand nearby.

Am I right? DOWNWIND? Come back a couple weeks later?

Jim

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
Deer poop like 13 times a day and usually very quickly after eating or right after they wake up.

You've either found a great feeding area or are very close to a bedding area.

·
Hell Yeah!!
191 Posts
I was taught those are bedding areas. Good place to watch in the mornings or watch the transition zones leading to the bedding areas.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,523 Posts
Is a set up South of that area better than a set up North.

Just asking, usually Reds bite a couple days after a front. Usually with that south wind. Colder the better.

Does fishing relate to hunting in that pattern?

Jim

·
Registered
881 Posts
Was always told that was near a bedding area like said above bedding or feeding area would set up near by but not to close look for a trail or set up a camera

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Should be the area between food and a bedding area. You know it's definitely not a food area because deer don't poop where they eat. Did you know that a doe will lick a fawns rear to let it know it can poop? Found that out a few years ago when a friend was rehabilitating a fawn and it was looking like it felt bad. FWC scientist said to wipe a warm wet cloth across its rear and watch the fireworks lol. Never seen so much poop in my life from a deer.

Either way sounds like a good spot.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have to disagree about not pooping where they eat. That's one of the main things I look for when figuring out what acorns they are eating during bow season

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
Deer poop like 13 times a day and usually very quickly after eating or right after they wake up.

You've either found a great feeding area or are very close to a bedding area.
Ok Joe, I have to ask. Where do you learn/read this good trivia material?

I do agree, it sounds like a bedding area.

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
Ok Joe, I have to ask. Where do you learn/read this good trivia material?

I do agree, it sounds like a bedding area.
I talk to a lot of biologists and have been studying deer on my own accord for a few years trying to figure things out like feeding/bedding patterns, buck/Doe ratio and deer per acre possibilities.

It's almost as frustrating as trying to hit one with a bow.

·
Registered
10,196 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts