Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
logan13 (3/17/2010)I NEED TO KNOW BECAUSE I AM BUYIN A SHOTGUN AND I AM LOOKIN FOR A GOOD STOCK:banghead:doh:clap
What will it be a hunting weapon or a personal protection weapon?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
What are you going to use this shotgun for? (bird shooting, duck hunting, turkey hunting, home protection, etc...)

What make and model is shotgun is this stock going on? (Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Benelli M2, etc...)

Answer these two questions because they both will matter a great deal.

·
Super Moderator
29,299 Posts
I'll answer some of them ??? fer him....He's got an 870 but was wanting a camo stock, but then I found Boyds custom stocks and they are AWESOME stocks...He liked the tactical stocks that can be adjusted but fer the comfort and shock absorbing would probably go to the thumbhole stock. He will be using it to hunt birds/deer, and shoot skeet so there will be a variety of ways he'll be using it.

Thanks fer all the responses fer Logan.....:letsdrink

·
Registered
628 Posts
Traditional is the way to go for shooting skeet and hunting......The problem with a thumbhole

stock is that the shotgun can only be shot for the rh/lh side depending on which one you buy.

Shooting a rh thumbhole stock hurts your lefthand when shooting it lefthanded........on a gun

that has some recoil.....Wood or synthetic works well.......AK style or th may look tacticool

but.....They are not practical......

George

·
Registered
3 Posts
For skeet the thumbhole or ak style is not practical. You need more of a traditional type stock some people do modify traditional stock with adjustable combs and recoil reducers.Like this mine has an adjustable comb to raise and lower point of impact.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
For what you want to use the gun for I wouldn't dream of using any kind of thumb hole or vertical grip type of stock.

A thumb hole stock on a shotgun is really only practical from a sitting position (turkey and some deer).

A vertical grip stock (AK style) is really only practical on a tactical shotgun. (home defense)

Stick with the "regular" stock and you will be much much happier. They are much more practical and much more versatile.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought about what ya'll said and I decided to stick to the traditional stock that came with my new Remington 870 12 Gauge. Here is my new shotgun, what do ya'll think?

·
Topwater Bluefish fan
1,276 Posts
looks good .

btw, you will want to wash that shell holder on your stock because the material is acid treated and can corrode the brass of shotshells .

happy shooting !

·
Registered
615 Posts
You'll shoot your eye out........Just kidding. Nice gun. The 870 was my second shotgun that i recieved when i was about your age. Killed alot of deer and turkey with that gun. You'll be very happy with it. Just take good care of it and it will last you a lifetime.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts