Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday Morning I was on the way to hunt a piece of Property, and as I approached the place that I was going to turn off the highway I slowed down to look for a plastic bag that a buddy had hung in a tree as a marker that marked a path into the woods. It was dark and I had my highbeams on as I searched the tree line on the side of the road. A car passed coming toward me and turned around behind me, and yep, State Trooper. He pulled me over and asked to see my licence, I gave it to him and he stated the reason he pulled me over was due to not dimming my headlights. I told him that I realized that I hadn't after he had passed but I was looking for a bag beside the road, and just failed to do so. He asked me was there Drugs in the bag, in a real smart A** tone. I replied I don't know what may be in the bag, but the bag is a marker that I know to find a small road off of the highway, and that I was deer hunting, but he could tell I was quite suprised by his remark. He then told me that the fine for not dimming my lights was $160.00 and I should dim them, I wished him a Merry Christmas,and he walked back to his car and followed me to the place I turned off and then he left, I guess.

I thought about it since then, and I still feel he did not have to treat me with any disrespect, as I did not treat him with any disrespect at all. He appeared as if to have an unneccesary Attitude and his tone was sharp and sour. What would you have done/said?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Same as you did getting into a pissing contest with a LEO can only lead to a bad situation no matter who is at fault. The best thing is what you did maybe could have asked for his name and reported him to a superior officer.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I only hope that I could have maintained the level of respect that you did. You know how it goes though. A lot of times those guys just get bored and say whatever comes to mind. That was very unprofessional of him to approach you like that. He might have hoped that you would of fired back with some sarcasm. Although, saying " I'm not sure what's in the bag" is pretty funny. If he had any sense, he felt like an idiot when he got back in his car and realized you weren't entertained at all by his comment. I definitely would have wished him a Merry Christmas too. Depending on the tone that's as good as saying "see ya later DI**!

You didnt get the ticket so...good job I think you handled it the right way.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
All you can do is kill him with kindness, or pay the fine for being stupid and disrespectful

·
Registered
506 Posts
Curtis, He did seem out of line but you do have to remember that on average Troopers have to deal with some SOB'S...Was there drugs in the bag? Are you kidding me?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
just be as nice as you can. In my experience, I have had more let me go with just simple yes sir no sir attitude, even when I had guns in the truck going turkey hunting!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
The way things have been going lately with rogue officers, you're lucky you didn't get tased!!

Note I said, rogue officers. I know we have some LEOs on here, and if you are not a rogue officer, then I'm not talking about you. I thank you for serving in a capacity to support us citizens.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Sounds like the trooper was just doing his job so I would have just smiled and appologized for blinding him with my brights. Remember that just because you might be a good guy the cop doesn't know youfrom the scum on the streets so they have to go about their job the same no matter who they pull over.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well did you get to hunt?

That's why I have little faith in our legal system and police/FWC. You tell them the truth and all they want to hear "yes, officer I have drugs in my car and a pound of weed hanging from that bag in the tree". What's even more obvious is you said you were going hunting- but did he ask to see the weapons for permits or check serial numbers on the weapons? Probably not as that would require paperwork. Next time a cop ask if you have any drugs in the vehicle- tell him "no, but you can all the crack you want on 6th ave, across from the Pensacola Police Dept. (didn't a foram member's sister nearly get carjacked there less than 2 months ago?)

But seriously, the police are not to be messed with. I was nearly beaten and asked to pull my pants down by Louisiana troopers about 14 years ago. Yep, on the side of I-10, outside of Baton, I was told to drop my pants. I told them they can't do this and 3 troppers reared up on me with their maglights. I pulled my pants and boxers down. I kid you not- I was told to " lift your nuts up!", so I did. Of corse they let me a friend go without any tickets or anything. Seems as though they pulled me over cuz I was a Florida tag. YOU CANNNOT TRUST LAW ENFORCEMENT! I know some of you out there are are honest, but many of them are shady. Unfortunately you can't tell one from the other.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I dont foresee it happening, but if any law enforcement official orders me to take my clothes off in public, I will be doing a lot of hunting and fishing with all my free time as the youngest retiree from the state of florida. I'm not a Law Major, butI know that I could win that Law Suit.

What if they would have tased your nuts?

take care. kenny

·
Banned
910 Posts
I also think you did the right thing. I would have done the same. Life is too short to let rude people ruin your day.

I have also had run in's with a-hole law enforcement officers and I have also met very curtious and professional ones. I think there are many circumstances that go into their demeanor. It could be the end of a long shift full of Jerry Springer guests or he could be an ego maniac with an inferiority complex. Either way just give them the benefit of the doubt and let it go. Life is too short.

Now if you didn't really feel like hunting that night, when he asked if there are drugs in the bag you could have said "There damn sure better be!!"

Oh yea and $160 for not dimming your highbeams?!?!?! Holy hi-way robbery batman!!

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
bigfishrookie (12/3/2007)Well did you get to hunt?

That's why I have little faith in our legal system and police/FWC. You tell them the truth and all they want to hear "yes, officer I have drugs in my car and a pound of weed hanging from that bag in the tree". What's even more obvious is you said you were going hunting- but did he ask to see the weapons for permits or check serial numbers on the weapons? Probably not as that would require paperwork. Next time a cop ask if you have any drugs in the vehicle- tell him "no, but you can all the crack you want on 6th ave, across from the Pensacola Police Dept. (didn't a foram member's sister nearly get carjacked there less than 2 months ago?)

But seriously, the police are not to be messed with. I was nearly beaten and asked to pull my pants down by Louisiana troopers about 14 years ago. Yep, on the side of I-10, outside of Baton, I was told to drop my pants. I told them they can't do this and 3 troppers reared up on me with their maglights. I pulled my pants and boxers down. I kid you not- I was told to " lift your nuts up!", so I did. Of corse they let me a friend go without any tickets or anything. Seems as though they pulled me over cuz I was a Florida tag. YOU CANNNOT TRUST LAW ENFORCEMENT! I know some of you out there are are honest, but many of them are shady. Unfortunately you can't tell one from the other.

Dude...I think you get screwed with by a couple of gay strippers.

·
Banned
910 Posts
bigfishrookie (12/3/2007)

No way in hell I am dropping my drawers on the side of the highway. Them mag lights might make my face swell up but so would my bank account.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
lobsterman (12/3/2007)All you can do is kill him with kindness, or pay the fine for being stupid and disrespectful
This sounds like the thing to do and go on with life. The most dangerous person is the one with the badge.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ocean Man (12/3/2007)Sounds like the trooper was just doing his job so I would have just smiled and appologized for blinding him with my brights. Remember that just because you might be a good guy the cop doesn't know youfrom the scum on the streets so they have to go about their job the same no matter who they pull over.
I completely agree he was doing his job, I have not thought any different at all. I just don't see why he couldn't just be respectful. I admitted not dimming my lights, and he was right for pulling me over, but I think everyone is responsible for the way they represent their employer. I would take issue with an employee of my company talking to anyone with unprovoked disrespect, and I am not sure that law enforcement should have the right to talk to anyone anyway they want to either. And, the last time I checked, in the country I reside in, people are assumed inocent until proven guilty.

Each year either my wife or I make a donation to the Alabama State Troopers Assc. andironically the request in at my home right now. I have considered making the check out for $160.00 and enclosing an explaination of the event as well, and returning the decal that is offered with my donation.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Curtis too bad the bag wasn't filled with doe pee and he would have passed out after taking one whiff of that. BTW did you get anything or seen any?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I could have told him there were drugs in the bag, but they are all over the counter.

Yes, I saw several does and let the biggest buck walk thatI have ever let walk in Alabama. Check the thread titled. The new Rules worked in Alabama saturday. He was a beautiful 7pt.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
bigfishrookie (12/3/2007) YOU CANNNOT TRUST LAW ENFORCEMENT!
Well since you cant trust them then dont ever call then when somebody steals your stuff of vandelizes your car or breaks into your home or harms your family...Until you are a LEO then dont bash them becasue they are doin a job that most of wouldnt for pay that is laughable:Flipbird have a good day sir!

·
Registered
747 Posts
just chalk it up for a bad day. he may have been having one too. you did the right thing by being the bigger person. i always respect police officers and everyone for that matter. hope you did well hunting.my .02

1 - 20 of 64 Posts