Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not had my kayak out in the cold months yet and was wondering what works best to stay dry and warm in the boat? Thought about waders but was concerned if i fliped they would fill up and i would sink like a rock.Dont really want to buy a wetsuit if i dont have to.I have a ocean kayak sit on w/scupper holes that i can plug but i know water will still find its way in. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Have not had my kayak out in the cold months yet and was wondering what works best to stay dry and warm in the boat? Thought about waders but was concerned if i fliped they would fill up and i would sink like a rock.Dont really want to buy a wetsuit if i dont have to.I have a ocean kayak sit on w/scupper holes that i can plug but i know water will still find its way in. Any suggestions would help. Thanks

The water inside your waders would weigh no more than the water outside of your waders so there would be no reason you would sink. At most they would just make it a bit harder to crawl back onto the kayak but I haven't ever heard a story where that was a significant problem.

The upside of waders is that they would keep you pretty much warm and dry from foot to mid chest as long as you don't fall in. If you do fall in then you are likely going to be wet either way no matter what.
I wear some water shedding pants over my regular fishing pants and if it is cold I'll put on a water shedding windbreaker with a sweat shirt underneath. I'll also wear a pair of waterproof boots to keep my feet dry when launching.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please be careful if u decide to use waders ....

I just ordered this its normally 130 and ment for hunting. I will try it on the yak as soon a I get the chance.
On sale for 30

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-blaze-orange-parkas-bibs-pants-a-g-o-blaze-coveralls.shtml?rid=11&WT.mc_id=cj1122587&WT.tsrc=AFF
Those look warm and cozy, AND super visible.

lastcast, I'll agree that swimming in waders is not going to be easy and, as well, swimming in waders with current or breakers could be potentially quite dangerous if you don't have a pair of well fitting waders and a belt. Hell, it is dangerous without a pair of waders and if you are even wearing a PFD. Sposton insinuated that if his waders filled up with water they would make him "sink like a rock" which would not be the case unless he had his waders filled with rocks.

·
Registered
316 Posts
waders full of water will make it more difficult/impossible to swim up. The negative buoyancy is from the the weight of the waders. True more for old school rubber ones. A light pair of stocking foot ones would be best if you went that route, more like a diving dry suit, which would be the best but expensive way to go.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I been searching for a pair for flounder giging. I dont believe the stocking foot models are more expensive than the boot ones but the material weight,quality and form fitting like mentioned already, is the price determining factor.
I would say the boot ones could make you more negative if filled up with water because they are shank weighted for durability and to keep your feet planted. Either would make it hard to swim back to the yak for any distance but i would rather be in the dive bootie ones if that happened.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Last year I used stocking feet wadders with neoprean diving boots and layers of clothing to match the temperature. I bought a new set of chest high neoprean stocking feet wadders at Academy in Pensacola for $49 last weekend. I also bought a splash jacket withh a hood on line. I think this will be a better set up than last year. Definatly go with stocking feet wadders.

I threw a cast net all winter with stocking feet wadders and on a couple of occassions I filled them up when I had to retreive my hung net from the bottom. It was cold, but the added weight did not seem to be a problem. The diving boots do add some boyancy as should the neoprean material in my new wadders.

Greg

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Definitely try to avoid waders if you are going to have any chance of being in water deeper than you can stand. I had a friend lose an uncle who stepped off in a hole wade fishing. He had waders with the suspender straps and could not escape them. The shock of the cold water will cause you to exhale and gives limited time to escape. I suppose a pfd could help with you staying on the surface, it's just not a risk worth taking. Frog togs with some warm liners or other water shedding gear would be best.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I forgot to mention that whenever I use wadders while kayak fishing, I always wear a life vest. Not only does this add to water safety it helps hold in body heat. I certainly do not mean to make any recomendations that might not be safe. My post was just an answer to the question asked about how I dress for winter fishing. Be safe and be smart.

Greg

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just a seemingly dumb question from someone who has never even worn waders.
In the event you rolled over couldn't you just pop one or both of the shoulders straps/belt and slide out of them?
It seems like it would be easy to do since having water in them would sorta lubricate them and make it easier to get out.

Just askin.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Try some on and you will see they do not come off as easily as you would think. Cold water will make it harder for you to get out of them quickly. I fish the shallows primairly from a very stable kayak and I try to be very careful whenever on the water. Experiance builds confidence, but you will have to decide what best works for you.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Just a seemingly dumb question from someone who has never even worn waders.
In the event you rolled over couldn't you just pop one or both of the shoulders straps/belt and slide out of them?
It seems like it would be easy to do since having water in them would sorta lubricate them and make it easier to get out.

Just askin.
Believe it or not but they create a suction and are very hard to shed. Best bet is to wear a chest belt to slow the water intake and raise your feet to trap the air so you can lay back and float.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I filled a pair of the old rubber ones up with water years ago in a trout stream in the inyo national forest. Cold water up to the nipples will take your breath away. It would be like swimming with a drift sock attached to you if that makes sense. If you wanted to remain still it wouldnt sink you if your waders filled with water, because as stated before, the water in your waders is no heavier than the water outside. Physics, its fun.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Please be careful if u decide to use waders ....

I just ordered this its normally 130 and ment for hunting. I will try it on the yak as soon a I get the chance.
On sale for 30

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-blaze-orange-parkas-bibs-pants-a-g-o-blaze-coveralls.shtml?rid=11&WT.mc_id=cj1122587&WT.tsrc=AFF
I'm glad you posted that on here! I've been looking for a pair that I could easily afford! Also its nice that they're blaze orange...cant wait to test em out!

Also- I found this video very informative for anyone concerned about swimming with waders on

1 - 18 of 18 Posts