Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on giving Pensacola Beach a shot in the yak in a couple of weeks. I plan on targeting kings. What are some good lures , bait , techniques you guys do . Thanks

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Some swear by dragging a cigar minnow on a king rig with a duster.. Of all of the kings that we have caught over the years, we have never caught one on this.

We drag frozen northern mackerel or live Ruby Red Lips on a king rig with a duster. We dont usually get 100-200 yards before we have a hook-up.

·
Registered
591 Posts
1) Buy or make a duster similar to this:

1008.jpg

2) Buy or catch cigar minnows

3) Troll along the color change. You can vary your depth to dial in where the fish are located at, but if you're over a 1/4 mile from the beach, you're probably too far out.

Aerial copy.jpg

This time of year, the kings are generally pretty thick, so you could troll a variety of things and probably catch them. The above setup is just the tried-and-true trolling tactic of most kayak anglers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Single strand wire king rig with mylar duster trolled with live bait or dead cigs. I catch most of my kings between 40' and 55' depth.

·
Registered
870 Posts
You don't have to "troll" either, if you are anywhere close to any structure or even just drifting you can just toss out a live or frozen cigar minnow or anything else. If you troll you just don't want your bait to spin or look bad, outside of looking bad you can catch a king on almost anything shiny. They are known to hit swivels, lead, and beads on bottom rigs being reeled up.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Do they usually stay in the gulf or could they be seen in the bay's as well??
I haven't ran into any in choctawhatchee but I think last August l/September they were catching them over in the bay around pensacola. I think there's a bait migration they tend to follow inshore a little bit on certain tides, but you're probably better off in the gulf.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts