Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
My first one was an old school Rat-L-Trap rod with some kind of zebco spincast reel...Now i got the new Abu Garcia Ambassadeur Revo S on a 7' All Star rod...wouldn't trade that combo for nothin'.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
FISHBOXFULL (9/12/2009)
GENTLE WOLF (9/12/2009)Don't remember specifically but a sure bet mine was a Zebco 202 combo. Those were the days, a $12 combo and I was good to go. Now days I spend that on a pack of hooks.
+1, anyone who won't admit to a Zebco 202 or 33 is not a real fisherman!!
Same here, Zebco.

And Splitine, Where in the Hamptons did you grow up?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This brought me back....... mine was a Zebco 202 combo as well. My grandmother bought it for me at western Auto. They lived on a river and I would spend the summer and fish every day from sun up to sundown. :usaflag:usaflag:usaflag

Mike:usaflag

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
TURTLE (3/26/2010)
FISHBOXFULL (9/12/2009)
GENTLE WOLF (9/12/2009)Don't remember specifically but a sure bet mine was a Zebco 202 combo. Those were the days, a $12 combo and I was good to go. Now days I spend that on a pack of hooks.
+1, anyone who won't admit to a Zebco 202 or 33 is not a real fisherman!!
Same here, Zebco.

And Splitine, Where in the Hamptons did you grow up?
$80 for the reel and $50 to have it dipped in carbon fiber.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Pflueger supreme on a 5' steel rod. Used that black braid line. Had 1 lure I could cast, a zorro spook about 8" long. In several years I think I caught 4 or 5 bass but they were all big ones. :clap

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Mine was a Shakespeare Wonder rod and a D.A.M. Quick. That was in about 1960. My next two reels were Mitchell 300 and then a 306. For Snook fishing at night at Sebastian Inlet with my Pops.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
shakespeare spinning combo from kmart for 17.00. Caught a lot of fish with it too. We used zebcos for years, but that shakespeare was the first rod that was "mine".

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can't really remember my first rod and reel but I would have to guess a Zebco 33. The first rod and reel I remember using that was mine was a Zebco Bullet on a Rhino pole. I caught a lot of fish on it but one day I lost a HUGE red because the drag had been messing up on the reel. He made a last ditch run right at the boat and broke the line. I never used that real again. Went out and bought an Abu Garcia baitcaster the next day. Haven't used a push button since. BTW good job on a Garbo like post. I read the title and you had me fooled.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will neverforget my first rod and reel, I save up my own money for three months cutting grass in the neighbor hood, talk about feeling old, we got a $1.50 for a regular yard and a $1.75 for a corner lot. I dont know if anyone on here has ever heard of the store I bought it from, it was in Jacksonville, and the store waslike a K-mart store,but it was called JM Fields. The combo was a 6'6" yellow Egale Clawmedium action rod, and the reel wasa made in France Mitchell 300 spinning reel. I bought it when I was like 12 or13 it was a whopping $19.78, boy being 53 now sure seems like a long time ago.Guys, Is it amazing that nobody in the world made a spinning reel that had a sweeter sounding drag when it was screeming then the made in France spinning reels. My Dad lived out off of Ten mile rd, we lost him 3 years ago, and he left me a made in france Mitchell 488 spinning reel, the drag sounds just like my 300 sounded but just alot louder. That is got to be one of the largest spinning reels I have ever seen, I dont know what I am going to do with it. Man that Mitchell300combo sure brings back some greatmemories

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mine was a cheapo Sears and Roebuck combo......it had a white fiberglass rod with a red reel that looked like one of those green Johnson Centuries. When I was about 8 I took it to Panama City and fished in the surf with it.......sucker rusted rock solid and I had to toss the reel. used the rod for another 10 years and went through about 3 or 4 Zebco 202's.....it's probably still in my dads basement somewhere.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
My first reel was zebco 202 on a solid glass rod. Nasty thing was always gumming up on the line. Take it apart, straighten out the line, reel it all back in and try to cast out again further, because the big ones were always out further just waiting to bite my hook. I just knew it. But to my frustration, it would gum up again. My friend Bobby just got his new black 33 (303?) and it would cast further and sweeter than anything going. It would hardly ever gum up. (We spent a lot of time ungumming the line on these reels). Some kids were experts. All I caught was tiny bluegill. We had more fun with Zorro fights with our rods like swords than fishing sometimes. Yall did ittoo! I think my 202 came from Kresges 5 and 10.

I finally got a 33. What a dream. I rigged up small frogs and would pitch them way out there and would have the biggest Northern Pike hook ups. Don't recall ever landing any but a fun time with all the stalking and water racket from the Pike strikes. Later on got to fish with my moms Shakespeare bale reel combo on a 7' hollow glass rod. What a thrill to fish with that rod. This was in the late 50's and early 60's.

I also used to lay on the floor in front of the tv in the evenings and look through my fathers, Herters jamb packed full of stuff catalog and dream of all the sports type things I would buy and do when I had the money.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
my first was a cane pole, I would use when we went to Canada on our family vacations...but the first real reel was a zebco 33 an old classic...then a mitchel 300 what a good reel and still is...I can't remeber the rods just the reels....

I use to find fishing line and an old hook laying around the docks and a piece of sapling from a tree and would use that to catch bluegills and perch at the docks....till my Mom shamed my Dad into letting us use the can poles or rods after a while:doh

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
A zebco mickey mouse combo. I still have a picture with me and my first fish (bluegill), the pole and a pair of mickey mouse ears on top of my head. I was 3, give me a break

61 - 80 of 80 Posts