Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Zebco 202, then 404. Then I got my first spinning combo, a little Heddon reel on a 6 foot rod. Caught a 2 lb. bass on my first cast with it on a red fliptail worm. The good old days...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Zebco 33 Man I can remember going to Dauphin Island and slaying the flounder. That zebco 33 would haul them in. Now with my 50 - 100 dollar rods I still am not catching more fish. Guess i need to dig out the ol zebco.

·
Super Moderator
12,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
i figured alot of people would say zebco!!!

i rember the first (real) fish i caught on my combo.... my dad was about to go on a 4 day hitch on a commercial boat and i was catching pinfish at the moorings for him,,, when all of a sudden this little rat red came up and ate my bait...

dang that was a long time ago.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Zebco 33 with the rod it came on from Otasco. Wish I still had it, but the other day I actually bought a vintage 33 on ebay for sentimental reasons ($10.50 shipped) and got the kids two 202's to start them off until they get good enough for something more advanced. I figure they should start just like I did. Caught PLENTY of fish with that 33 and it sure would cast way out there. Soon as I get this one stuck to a rod, I'm gonna re-live some old good times! These 202's aren't built like they used to be, I guess none of the Zebcos are - mostly plastic now. The one I got on ebay was alot cheaper than a new one at walmart and it;s made of metal, figure I got a good deal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Also had an 808 (or was it an 888?) that used to slay the specks off the 3-mile bridge when you could fish off it. Nothing wrong with using those old amatuer reels if you ask me.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Cool Thread.

Mine was a Johnson Century, on a glass rod. I saved my grass cutting money and bought it at Sears.

My dad and I were crappie fishing on Lake Eaufala and I was casting a crappie jig with a white curly tail on it. I really think I was bothering him more than he thought I was contributing to our fishing efforts. Anyway, I was reeling the little jig in and got a big hit. I had never fought a fish that pulled that hard before, I mean drag and everything. I landed the fish and it was Hybrid Bass about 3lbs. We fished the next several weekends and I would cast that little jig with the same enthusiasum as the very next cast after catching that Hybrid. I think I would take that reel apart and clean it 5 times between fishing trips.

Cool Thread, John. Thanks for the Great Read and Memories.

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
Pinksnappercatcher (9/12/2009)
Splittine (9/12/2009)Van Staal
and you my friend havent been fishing that long. Van Staal's havent been out but what max 10 years.
Hell yall call Stalls Zebco so I called my Zebco a Staal, my first reel was a Zebco 33 and I still have it and its still like a tank.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Man, that would be a classic Garbo question,..... and I remember it like it was yesterday.

My first summer paycheck when I was 15 years old was for $31.00 and I went to the Eckerds at Fairfield Drive and Mobile Highway by the Golden Crown and purchased a Mitchell 300 spinning reel on a Shakespeare spinning rod for $14.00 and change. I still have the reel today.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great Thread...... Zebco 33 I think, the black one?????? Purchased by my Grand Paw, Thanks for the memories.....

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
good ole zebco 202. caught my first redfish under the alabama point bridge when i was 5. he hit a pinfish while i was reeling him in. i'll never forget it. my son caught his first fish, a white trout, on a zebco snoopy pole when he was 3 at the bay front auditorium. man how the years have gone by.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
John B. (9/13/2009)i figured alot of people would say zebco!!!

i rember the first (real) fish i caught on my combo.... my dad was about to go on a 4 day hitch on a commercial boat and i was catching pinfish at the moorings for him,,, when all of a sudden this little rat red came up and ate my bait...

<U>dang that was a long time ago</U>.
chickenbone...what do you mean, you ain't old enough to for anything to be a LONG TIME AGO!!!:poke

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Can't remember, what ever model Zebco was out in the late 60's. As I got older, upgraded to a Mitchell 302. I can remember getting those premade leaders that always had tons of shiny metal pieces on them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
John B. (9/12/2009)i borrowed alot of my dad's stuff when i was really young, lots of mitchells and z series penns... but MY first combo was a penn 712z, on a 6'6" fenwick custom wrapped... i remember fishing off a dock in hoffman bayou one time when i was around 6 and having a live shrimp on my hook... i set the rod down on the dock, with the shrimp hanging in the water... went to go get a drink, and heard 2 splashes, 1 was a fish exploding on the shrimp, and the other was the combo flying off the dock... i swam around that dock for 3 hours and eventually got it back... my dad would have been red hot if i had lost it...

i have that combo hanging on my wall... lots of good memories.

so John Im guessing you didnt get the fish since you left that part of the story out of it??

21 - 40 of 80 Posts