Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what type of gun and turkey chokes people are using?? And what shell shoots the best out of your gun?.

I am now shooting a Xtrema 2 with that Primos Jelly head choke. It did fine this weekend when I was patterning it, but I think the 3 1/2 shells shot like crap, and the 3 inch supreme #5 shot pretty good. I use to shoot the Remington 4x6 load, but cant find them anymore. They are bad ass! Anyone know anything about why they dont sale them anymore?

·
Registered
469 Posts
century bait shop in century fl had some of the shells you speek of the other day.Remington still makes them,at least they still show them on there web site.As far as gun and choke i shoot the same old browning auto5 ive shot for years its only chambered for 2-3/4 inch shells with a fixed modified choke.I shoot federal #5s or #6 shot.ive killed many turkeys hogs and deer with this gun over the years.Just my opinion but as long as you can get them within 40 yards it dont matter what you shoot them with.hope you can find some of those shells.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I totally agree with you. Until this year, I have always shot my great grandfathers old Belgium made browning 12 ga. And it too shot 2 3/4. Those brownings are good guns.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Remington 870 SPST w/thumbhole stock, Kicks Gobbling Thunder 665 choke and Winchester ER 3.5 #5's

I would like to try a few Nitro loads but they are a chunk of change.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I shoot a Comp-N-Choke thru a benelli. It will put upwards of 130 pellets from a Wichester 3 1/2 inch HV #5 in a 15 inch cirle at 45 yards! This one will "knock the flour out of a bisquit at 40 yards"!! I used to shoot a Remington 1100 2 3/4 inch with Winchester HV #6 and a Hastings 660 until some c*cksucker decided he needed more than me and lifted it from me. I had killed upwards of 50 birds with that gun and now I can't find another one.:boo:boo:boo

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is a lot of pellets. We were shooting in a small ring, like 3 or 4 inch diameters. I hear that Pure Gold 670 is a bad ass choke and it will fit my and your guns. The benilli and xtrema 2 are interchangagle with most chokes

wes

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,546 Posts
wareagle22 (3/13/2008)I shoot a Comp-N-Choke thru a benelli. It will put upwards of 130 pellets from a Wichester 3 1/2 inch HV #5 in a 15 inch cirle at 45 yards!
Do those shells even have 130 pellets in them?That's pretty strong. 15" is a big circle as well I guess.How many are in his neck and head?

I shoot a Rhino choke out of my browning 3 1/2 gold. It will knock a tennis ball size hole in paper at 25yds and put 10-15 pellets in the kill zone at 40yds+. I've been very impressed with it. I shoot Remington Nitro #4,5, or 6's. #5's are all I have found the last couple of years though.

Also have a rem 870thumhole with rhino choke. It's lights out as well.

I have a doctor friend of mine...I say he's a doctor b/c you have to be one to afford those Nitro shells someone mentioned above. With a 3 1/2" load out of his mossberg it will put 15+ in the kill zone at 50yds. Absolutely amazing. They have a mixture of #4,5,6,7's in them.

I see those remington 4x6's every now and then. They are a awesome shell to shoot. Wish they made them in 3 1/2's.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do you get these Nitro shells you are talking about??? And are they the 3 1/2 inches that these people are shooting???

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,546 Posts
Caspr21 (3/13/2008)Where do you get these Nitro shells you are talking about??? And are they the 3 1/2 inches that these people are shooting???
Here is the link. http://www.nitrocompany.com/ammunition.htm

You can get them in all kind of combinations. For a fee you can send them your gun and they will match the best load with the best choke for you gun. Kind of pricey for me though. For now I'll stick with my remington loads...they haven't failed me yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Comp-n-Choke will put upwards of 25 pellets in the head and neck at 45 yards. I have tried the Winchester X-tended Range shells also ($48.00 for 10) and did not get any better results than the HV. I have friends who shoot the Nitros through a Rhino choke that have outstanding results as well. You just have to be willing to take a ass load of mule kicks to see which shell/choke combo works for your gun.

The countdown has begun.................

·
Registered
188 Posts
Oh, and yes they do have more than 130 pellets. According to the Winchester data, the HV #5 has 170 pellets per oz. These are either 1 3/4 or 2 oz shot (I can't remember sitting here at my desk but I will go out ot my truck and look).

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
chuckseven (4/10/2008)870 Super Magnum Remington

3 inch Remington Nitros # 4s.

Tru -glo choke..

Works for me..{-:
That is the exact choke,gunand load I shoot, and on Sat it opens up here. I cant wait. I get to take my daughter hunting for the first time. Wish me luck. Oh yeah btw, I use number 6 for a while and had a couple run away. Number 4 will put them down every time. Even in a 2 and 3/4 from 30 yds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts