Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,259 Posts
Running a Mercruiser I/O and use Mercury Hi-Performance gear lube(synthetic). Why,cause it displaces moisture and if a seal fails and allows water intrusion into the lower unit,the bearings and gears stay coated with oil till I make the repair. A little on the expensive side but beats another $900 for a full rebuild.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">In my Mercury Verado I use Quicksilver 4 stroke and in my Mercury Tracker series I use Quicksilver 2 stroke. Both Mercury and Quicksilver are recommended for Mercury motors.

·
Registered
463 Posts
My 3 Hondas get Mobil1 syn. Gears get Valvoline blended.

I use it because I think it offers the best protection.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Our two yamaha four strokes get Yamaha 4M inbulk (or whatver you wannacall it when you take the marine storeyour own oil containers for them to fill up with oil)..

Why?Why not... Yamaha 4M is good stuff, Ships Chandler is very nearby and they are good ppl,& the priceisdiscounted a little bit vs buying the yamaha containers of it.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
yamaha 2 stroke, gets penzoil synthetic 2 stroke oil. Easy to find, cheaper than yamalube, runs and burns great, and the jug is bight yellow making a REAL NICE buoy jug.....

Use Quicksilver lower unit oil...

·
Registered
249 Posts
In my Verado I use Verado Synthetic. I have the 5 year warranty and don't wan't to give them any reason not to honor it if I ever need it. In my little old 15 Johnson, I use any TCW3 oil.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bassn8ed (1/14/2010)I prefer banana boat spf40. It keeps you from getting burned and smells good too.
That cracked me up...and I knew more then two people were using oil.

I am amazed at how many diffrent people use different type oil's, don't know why but thought well we all run about the same thing...guess not.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
For all of my inboards, gas and diesel, I use Chevron Delo 400 and have since diesel technician school in about 1970. We researched which oil met all engine manufacturers and MilSpecs. Chevron Delo 400 won. I have never had any oil related problems.

For my 2 strokes, I use West Marine synthetic - no problems.

For my towing vehicle, Chevy van, I use Red Line Racing synthetic in the engine and Red Line synthetic ATF in the transmission. 80,000 + miles and no problems. This was advice from a cousin who was tech director for GM's test facility in Arizona.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts