Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Interstate, Deep Cycle, one for each engine. Started after a couple of months down time, on the coldest day of the year. Fresh as the day they were installed.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I use to work at a battery store and have a lot of knowledge about them. I myself prefer the DEKA brand batteries. These batteries are american made in Pennsylvania and a very tough product. It really depends on what application as to what you are using as to which battery would be best.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I quit using ever readies that darn bunny kept getting sea sick actuly I have a 40hp yamy 4 stroke and used the mfg suggested rating and got mine at auto zone I believe its a dual starting /deep cycle I have to check

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I have had my Cal 46 since 1982, so have learned a lot about batteries. I have all lead acid batteries from West Marine, made by Deka. I have a single 4-D dedicated to engine and genset start only. It has it's own Motorola 75 amp alternator.

My "house" batteries are six 6 volt golf cart type batteries in series and parralled into one bank. They are charged underway by a Leece Neville 100 amp alternator and a 40 amp West Marine automatic charger while on dock power. Maintaining the appropriate electrolyte level is important in lead acid batteries, so the first day each month I water them.

I normally get 6 to 8 years on the house batteries and 4 to 6 years on the engine start. A few years back I tried Sam's Club golf cart type batteries. They lasted two years. While exactly the same exterior dimension, they weighed 8 pounds less than the West Marine battery. So that was the last time I wasted my money on cheap batteries.

I traded another PFF'er for three Group 27, AGM batteries from cell phone tower UPS systems. They were one year old and are still serving me well. I have used one in my work barge for the bilge pump for years. It has been under water a few times, completely deep cycled and still holds a charge a long time. Downside is they are about $300 for one Group 27. They can be used in any position, except upside down and do not require any maintenence. This also applies to gel cells.

You gets what you pays for...:bpts

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I have two Interstates on my Everglades 243 CC and 3 Stowaways (aka throwaways) on my 18? Nitro bass boat. Haven?t had any problems with any of them as of yet.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
I agree on the AGM batteries, I use them on both my boats and on most of my customers boats as well. You pay more up front, but they last longer, are maintenance free and no more venting of electrolyte to make a mess, and no more venting of flammable gas during charging.

I recommend one starting battery with sufficient CCA for each engine and generator as well as a sufficient number of batteries to support the house load and the electronics.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Three AGMs, one for the port engine and windlass, one for the starboard engine and house pwr, and one dedicated to the electronics. Charged thru a BEP MarineVSR system. The engine batteries are West Marine, and the Electronic are on the Sear's AGM

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Deep Cycle batteries are not recommended for starting batteries. they are designed for use with trolling motors. You should use a "Cranking" battery for your start battery and it should a minimum rating according to the motor spec. It always a good idea to run two batteries thru a selector switch whether you are going off shore or just running in the bays. I usually replace mine every two years. One one year and the other the next. Not as big a hit that way.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sosmarine (1/15/2010)Deep Cycle batteries are not recommended for starting batteries. they are designed for use with trolling motors. You should use a "Cranking" battery for your start battery and it should a minimum rating according to the motor spec. It always a good idea to run two batteries thru a selector switch whether you are going off shore or just running in the bays. I usually replace mine every two years. One one year and the other the next. Not as big a hit that way.

What brand battery do you use, any preference?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts