Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm getting my plots ready to plant for deer season here in Escambia county and I'm wondering what works best around here. Do I get the Biologic from Walmart or what. I have a .5 acre field to plant and a small section tha gets a lot of shade. I appreciate any advice.

CTM

·
Tall Sexy Guy
588 Posts
have you sent in a soil sample for testing? My advice is to do so. That way you know how to properly prep your soil for the seeds you'll be planting.

As for my plots, I like using a 5 way seed blend from a local feed/seed store. We're also going to plant one plot in chicory this year. That will be a first for me.

Scoots

·
Registered
124 Posts
You can get a soil sample kit from most co-ops and the like. Very easy and extremely worth it. Your soil is prolly fine, but it's good to know.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
wheat & oats with a little wheat and some oats and if you really want them to come in mix in a little wheat and oats but keep it on the down low

·
Super Moderator
20,146 Posts
Hi guys. I'm getting my plots ready to plant for deer season here in Escambia county and I'm wondering what works best around here. Do I get the Biologic from Walmart or what. I have a .5 acre field to plant and a small section tha gets a lot of shade. I appreciate any advice.

CTM
I'd wait at least a month to plant. Way to early.

·
Super Moderator
20,146 Posts
Really? I planted in the spring,and just replanted a summer mix,and around the end of october I'll plant a winter mix. Deer year round.
Exactly, towards the end of Oct. considering this is Sept. Ain't doing much good planting a winter plot now and it's about a waste of money to plant a summer plot for 4-6 weeks.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Exactly, towards the end of Oct. considering this is Sept. Ain't doing much good planting a winter plot now and it's about a waste of money to plant a summer plot for 4-6 weeks.
Depends,I try to keep a green spot year round,and from the way they are chowing down the "hot spot" I put out 2 weeks ago I'd say it was worth it. Now mineral licks are a waste of time and money around here.After many being put out and having trail cams trained on them never a lick caught. And I think that while deer are in velvet they really need all the extras they can get.

·
Super Moderator
20,146 Posts
I guess it depends on how you look at it. Not worth pissing away the money for us to plant 25-30 acres for 4 weeks. We plant spring/summer plots and a pile of corn, just not this late.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To pull your soil samples just dig down about 6 inches with a small garden shovel. Do this at 5 or 6 areas of the plot and put in a bucket. Mix all the soil up very well. Try not to have a lot go grass and weeds, roots are ok. Fill a pint size zip lock and discard the remaining soil. Bring it by Crop Production Services in Jay and we will take care off it for you. We are just west of Scott's on south side of road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts