Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this 99 Johnson 225 has done it to me again. Been fighting a no spark issue and finally got it resolved yesterday. I was ecstatic thinking ok now she will run.. Well she runs but kept missing like crazy and dying. All ignition has been replaced so I knew it couldn’t be that. I thought to myself i need to check compression. As much as I knew something was going to be wrong I didn’t want to do it. I checked it and port side lower cylinder is at 60lbs. Now do I fix this motor or look for a used motor.... What’s yall’s thoughts. Also if your like me and think I should just get another motor does anyone know of a place in Pensacola that sell good used motors. I really don’t want to buy a brand new one right now due to money. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I always struggle with this. Most of the time, I would rather deal with the known problems I have vs buying another used motor. Even if used is good condition, its an outboard and you will have some issue at some point. There is something comforting to me knowing that I have been through every nut/bolt on a motor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I always struggle with this. Most of the time, I would rather deal with the known problems I have vs buying another used motor. Even if used is good condition, its an outboard and you will have some issue at some point. There is something comforting to me knowing that I have been through every nut/bolt on a motor.

I completely agree with you on this, however for the price to rebuild it or replace the power head I could get a newer motor that is fuel injected instead of carburetored. Just not sure what to do at this point...lol

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so something interesting... I sea foamed that cylinder let it sit for 20-30 minutes and then blew it out. Started the motor and ran it for a bit. Checked compression and now it’s above 100 on that cylinder. Is it possible the ring could have been stuck? Checked the compression 4 times since then and still over 100 psi. Thoughts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts