Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just talking to Tobbe (my wife) about what we are going to do now. The Gulf of Mexico is our life. If we are not in it we are planning to be there. Our whole life revolves around being on and around saltwater. I have owned "Lite Catch" for 15 years and 3 months. The boat we had before we owned for 8 years. I spent my summers growing up in a cottage on East Bay that my dad owned. Saltwater is all i crave and mostly all i know.

I used to repell in north Alabama (don't tell my mom) i really liked that, but it is too far away to do every weekend. So back to the question of what do. We really are at a loss. We love the Florida Keys, go there at least once a year. Can't really move there for too many reasons. I hope i am jumping the gun on this! What do ya'll think?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Scott, I feel exactly the same way you do about this place...I eat, breathe, sleep saltwater so much so that just last week we put an offer in on a house directly on the sound so that it and our boats would be in our backyard and our kids could literally grow up on the water, well yesterday the seller came back with a counteroffer that before this spill we would have said yes too in a blink of an eye but the wife and I decided to wait and see how this plays out because if/when this crap devestates this place we don't want to be stuck with waterfront property we can't use. I definetly don't want to jump the gun early and I am hoping against hope they can get this thing capped quickly....we'll see.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I know exactly how you feel scott. I've been on the water everyday trying to get everything ready and taking advantage while I can and I've broken down several times. Especially yesterday when the fish where schooled up off deer point. Spanish, bull reds, sharks, birds crashing. I had a load of crabs, mullet and mackeral. Fish flopping all over the deck and covered in blood and scales. I didn't even take a shower when I got in (couldn't bare to part with the smell). I crashed on the couch with a beer and just sat there all night smelling like fish and thinking about the oil. Man, I can't take this shit.

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
I feel your pain Scott. I dindn't grow up but discovered my paradise 5 years ago, and couldn't believe I made it this long without living here. I love the water, and diving gives me a perspective alot don't get to see.

I can't believe how easiely this can be wrecked, and BP had what...4 planes and 12 ships? What? Thats the best you could do to contain this before it turned into what it did?

Makes me sick, specially since I live on the water now, and I am trying to guess what my front yard and the dock will look like within a week

·
Registered
541 Posts
i feel you brother! thankfully got me a day of fishing yesterday and hope to make it out sunday morning before the future of some sad sad days! =( It is crazy to think of how depressing this may be for me personally.. Like you stated.. Majority of my hobbies are saltwater bound!!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I was so heartsick last night that I couldn't sleep, We own a condo on Orange Beach, and one on Terry Cove. We will suffer an economic and emotional loss because of this disaster. Our loss is big to us, but I really feel for the families of those 11 lost souls, and the folks who make their living off the fishing.

Let's hope it won't be as bad as we fear!

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
I came here in part to be close to a sick mother-in-law and part for the beaches and fishing.

She died 6 years ago next week. The rest seems like it'll be dead next week.

Thinking about moving back to Augusta. Maybe Savannah for the triple tail and tarpon. There's always Puerto Rico.

I really love this place but it might not be the same next week, next year or even in 20 years.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When all is said and done there is going to be zero places in coastal GOM area that are going to be uneffected. The well is no closer to being capped then it was ten days ago and even more concerning is a NOAA report (out today)that the blowout could get worse and release over 2 million gallons per day. Estimates range of 60 to 90 days before this gets stopped and even that is not certain. But for this discussion purpose lets go with the current 200k+ gallons of release.every ten days you have 2 million gallons= 6 mil in 30 days=12in 60=18 in 90. All this getting caught up in winds and currents. Current estimate of oil slick is now 2million gallons as of today. Even if this were to stop today that crap is going to swirl around for a good long time.

here is some good reading and you should check it out before its yanked off the web

http://www.wkrg.com/gulf_oil_spill/article/leaked-report/880088/Apr-30-2010_6-47-pm/

·
Registered
4,706 Posts
Does anyone know of the know capacity of this particular deposit? We're thinking 200K barrels a day is catastrophic, 2000K a day is the ruination of not only the entire gulf coast, but also the entire gulf. All the off shore platforms will have to be shut down due to fire/explosion hazard to them on top of this. Gas prices rise, economy tanks. No wells, no need for offshore crews, platform crews and all support personnel. I can't even wrap my mind around 2 million barrels a day for months. There is no way on God's green earth that the marine life above or below the water can survive that. Praying that never happens.

Scott, I know what you are saying. Hell, I have gone as far as already buying my little piece of paradise down there for retirement, which I am looking at in about 10 years. I look forward to coming down every weekend now, (I should say up to about 10 days ago now). I do have the good fortune of at least having the Alabama River here to recreate on as well as the farm in Oak Hill so there is some relief for me. Abeit, my dream was to down there at least half of my remaining time left on this earth. With that said, all my dreams pale when considering the 11 souls lost on that rig.

·
Registered
387 Posts
took forever to find a job and now it looks like i will have to move to find another one.i work on the beach and everyone there is in panic mode!

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have just began reading the posts about the spill/leak here on the forum and I am curious to know what equipment, cleanup ships, etc... they used with the Valdez incident. I don't think they should shut down all the other currently working rigs because of this, they should make the oil industry, especially BP use all the monies they have made over the sale of their oil to install the proper emergency shut off procedures and have to pay for the clean up. I can see many, many suits being filed with BP over this.

The individuals that lost thier lives are the big issue to me, they had families and normal enjoyments that they will never have a chance to do. I worked out of Grand Isle on a rig in the early 80's and the rig blowing up or me not making it back to my famil was on my mind everyday.

Growing up in Pensacola and Cape Hatteras kinda changed my blood, I bet it has some salt water in it by now, I love the beach, being in the GOM on a boat with friends and everything about living on the water. It is really going to be a dramatic change to all of us in another week or maybe for a long time. Probabll a good idea to start getting before and after pics of our precious Emerald Coast.

I feel your pain brother, and I sure pray we make it through this and it dosen't turn out as bad as it seems. The news is not looking good for any of our areas in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
I feel EXACTLY the same way about this :doh ... as a Navy brat I've always been around the Saltwater , but have lived on the Gulf Coast for most of that time ... I Surf , Fish , Swim , take my Dogs swimming , everything I do is ON the Saltwater , ESPECIALLY my Job , so what now ?!?! ... I will stay around until October helping to clean up and whatever I can do to help , then considering moving to Colorado for the Winter , then returning in March / April to pick up the pieces ... how quickly things can change our lives , VERY sad , tragic and humbling all at once ... GOD help us all :angel

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
H2OMARK (01/05/2010)Does anyone know of the know capacity of this particular deposit?
100 Million Barrels. Read that in two different reports.

OK - I think I'm heading to Colorado with the Mrs to buy a little cabin and try to figure out how to unload the property here to BP/ USG when the time comes. If they don't get her plugged in the next few months they'll start moving folks out as the hydrocarbons are toxic at a certain level.

Just starting wrap up my 6 months combat tour over here in Afghanistan - was REALLY looking forward to coming home... Now not so much. From half a world away it sucks as bad being there.... it was home. It'll be gone in 20-30 days... Right when I get back.

Damn.
Stressless

·
Whizzed off realist
2,528 Posts
Our phones have been ringing off the hook. People that have fished with us for over 10 years are calling and wanting to know how it's going to affect the fishing. This will be the most catastophic economic event in the last 40 years in the Gulf states. The only part of the Gulf that may remain un-affected would be the western Gulf from Bell Pass, LA (Fourchon) to Brownsville TX. And that is providing the currents and wind keep the mass of the spill in the Eastern Gulf.

What boggles the mind is how we have drilled probably 10,000 wells in the GOM in the last 50 years and there has never been an accident of this magnatude.

I've not even considered moving. I moved here 19 years ago, my kids have grown up/growing up here. The area has been very good to us and I don't want to leave for any reason. I know this event just breaks everyone's heart, but we will survive. I'm hesitant to jump up and join some class action suit when we don't even know what the extent of the damages will be. I do believe that BP will come through with something, I just hate the idea that there are already opportunists luring those to litigate this early in the drama.

God Bless the missing oil personel and their familes.

Capt Jim "Emerald Coast" Charter boat. and not a fan of SOS.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I'm just sick. This disaster is potentially devastating to our area. All the politicizing won't help anything except assess the blame. Meanwhile we'll be left with our whole lifestyle's altered for what will probably turn out to be a totally preventable event.

I'm just stunned. I pray that technology or nature (or both) comes to the rescue but it is hard to watch and wait. Went to the beach this morning to move debris off the shoreline but that's likely just a feel good thing to do with a disaster of this magnitude.

All we can do is press on or move on I guess. I haven't felt like this since my house burned down when I was 10 years old.....not a good feeling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts