Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cranked up my 1995 90hp Force (Merc) this morning and it looks like the prop and shaft tried to make an exit. What just happened, how much, and where to get it corrected?????????

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
Not good , not pretty and pretty costly.

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
Wow, sorry to see that.Never saw it before but was wondering if you could tell a little of whatyou saw or heard when it happened. Might also help someone to give you a better guess. Hope it's not as bad as you think. Good Luck.

Skip

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<p class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana">Just got back in..... Thanks guys for the heads up and links.... The actual main housing (from the outside) is not damaged. What you see that is broken is the keep (round ring with bolt through holes) that bolts onto the main housing. Something cut loose internallyand the inside isprobably shot. As soon as it happened I shut the engine down (it was at idle speed). Will have to dig into it sometime this week after I get a schematic. The noise was just a clunk like something broke, no warning, no nothing. Thanks again for the info guys??? By the way it?s a 90 HP Force, 1995 with low hours (even at this age)???<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> Tight lines all, have a safe holiday w/e?????<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> TB</p><p class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"></p><p class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 9pt; COLOR: #1f5080; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana"></p>

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It looks like the drive shaft may have busted a tooth or two and then when it engaged and it hit the broken teeth it forced it to back out. I am guessing that at least one of the shafts will have to be replaced. Maybe you'll get lucky and the other one will be fine.

·
Premium Member
11,194 Posts
I am guessing that the thrust bearing came apart and possibly leading to what WW2 just said. Only a guess.

·
Premium Member
11,194 Posts
Boatjob I have a mercury manual around here somewhere if you need it. I'm not sure how similar the lower units are. You could more than likely get this manual andrebuild it yourself. There not as bad as you would think.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Results: 1995,Force and Chrysler,Outboard Gearcase</h1>> Boatmotors> Powerheads and Lower Units> Search Results<table border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class=ln vAlign=top align=left><center>
</center></td><td class=ln vAlign=top align=left>We work with the top suppliers in the industry. Nevertheless, there is still a difference in the level of quality between these suppliers (whether the replacement parts are new or aftermarket, etc.), core exchange policies, warranty, and price, so it is important to realize that the product with the lowest price isn't necessarily the best deal.Too many results? Click on your browser's back button and add additional information to narrow your search.

Need help on finding your shaft length?

</td></tr><tr><td class=ln vAlign=top colSpan=2 align=left><p class=xbig>We have the following component(s) for the 1995,Force and Chrysler,Outboard Gearcase you requested!</p></td></tr><tr><td class=wn vAlign=top colSpan=2 align=left><a id=part_form_start name=part_form_start></a>For more information on the product and vendor's policies, please click on the 'View' link next to any product.

<center><table class=PartsTable border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class=vendor_heading width="100%" colSpan=9><h3>Vendor 2</h3>For over 17 years we have been dedicated to providing our dealer network with the highest quality sterndrive and outboard components known in the industry.</td></tr><tr><TH align=left>HP </TH><TH align=left>CYL </TH><TH align=left>LTR/CID </TH><TH align=left>Description </TH><TH align=left>Price </TH><TH align=left>Core </TH><TH align=left>**S&H </TH><TH align=left>Subtotal </TH><TH></TH></tr><tr><td>90 </td><td> </td><td> </td><td>Rebuilt, 3 Cylinder, 3 Jaw, 20" Drive Shaft </td><td>$1875.00 </td><td>No Core </td><td>Call Us </td><td>$1875.00 </td><td>View </td></tr><tr><td>90 </td><td> </td><td> </td><td>New, 3 Cylinder, 3 Jaw, 20" Drive Shaft </td><td>$2115.00 </td><td>No Core </td><td>Call Us </td><td>$2115.00 </td><td>View </td></tr><tr><td class=vendor_heading width="100%" colSpan=9><h3>Vendor 200</h3>Quality in Marine Remanufacturing for over 24 years! Our multi-step Remanufacturing Process has been perfected over the years to give you years of trouble free boating.</td></tr><tr><TH align=left>HP </TH><TH align=left>CYL </TH><TH align=left>LTR/CID </TH><TH align=left>Description </TH><TH align=left>Price </TH><TH align=left>Core </TH><TH align=left>**S&H </TH><TH align=left>Subtotal </TH><TH></TH></tr><tr><td>90 </td><td> </td><td> </td><td>Rebuilt, 3 DOG REVERSE </td><td>$1531.25 </td><td>$250.00 </td><td>Call Us </td><td>$1781.25 </td><td>View </td></tr><tr><td>90 </td><td> </td><td> </td><td>Rebuilt, 6 DOG REVERSE </td><td>$1531.25 </td><td>$250.00 </td><td>Call Us </td><td>$1781.25 </td><td>View </td></tr></tbody></table></center>**Shipping estimates on this page are based on ground shipping. Other options may be available.

If you would like help choosing an item or have any other questions about##### new and repuilt engine parts

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

PS

"B" Factor Just like the "C" Factor.... were screwed.... been there done it!!!!

</td></tr></tbody></table>

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
A BIG PLUS #1 on Dave / Davlor Marine....He recently replaced my 99' 200 Opti foot for much less than in the catalog above..

I'm talking huge savings.....

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
That sucks!! i have a 90 force also i have been through2 lower units in 5 years good thing is you can find the whole motor for around$500 i justbuy another motor and use the foot and scarf any spare parts i need and in the trash the rest of it goes i have two laying in the backyard that are just for parts i bought both motors runningone for 350 and the other was 500 dollars can't beat that with a stick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts