Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
The Hired Hand (1/9/2010)Great White Shark,then a giant Blue Fin in the 1000 lb class. Big dreams for such a small fellow.

You always ask these questions that get me thinking about stuff I can't afford to do.

+1 I have always dreamed about cathing a great white. After all, he is the baddest thing swimming. The bluefin WILL happen someday!!!!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Ling In the future! COBIA for some of you. Lemons, Flat heads, Big fat brownies. They are going byebye! Less & less From the beaches every spring. What should be done? Will It?

·
Registered
391 Posts
ALL cobia tournaments should be single largest fish only.. no aggregate div.. with 3 or 4 fish total weight... big $$$ for top tag & release .. top 5 positions, only one senior, one Jr. one ladies, etc.. top 3 in small boat.. etc....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Understanding that ling Or Cobia, The Females Like most fish Are the larger fish. How can you have a honest tourny While releasing the large fish? One is Taking the daily paper on the boat with you & filming the paper & release. Harvesting a Slot fish for Eating would be the Conservation way to repopoulate them. Red fish& snapper have made rebounds. Red fish have due to releasing larger than Slot size fish. Ling or cobia Must be done this way. They are vanishing off the beaches. most are sold illeagaly to sustain the next days fishing & tournament moneys invested. I'm by no means a greenie or left wing, Just saying the fish are no where close to how they used to be. Red fish are, Snapper are, Ling, Not! Snapper to me should have max sizelimits also. But that will just cause more hate . I dont see snapper endangered, red fish either. Ling, Almost gone. This opinion is from no data put out by the Special Interest. My 30 year observation tells me this.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Jack, nice tiger fish. What river where you fishing? That species is Hyrdocynus vittatus, these guys only reach about 20lbs or so. The Hydrocynus goliath are the real giants capable of reaching close to 100 pounds!

I had an H. vittatus about the size of yours in a fish tank and I can imagine they would be powerful fighters, lightning fast fish.

Three out of my four fish to catch Ive owned.

Peacock bass - There are over 20 species some reaching less then 5lbs and some capable of topping 30. The big boys are Cichla temensis and are found in Venezuala. The peacocks in S. Fl are a man made hybrid of Cichla temensis and Cichla monoculus (spelling) and stay pretty small. Ive owned a few of the smaller cichlas are they too are FAST and strong.

Hydrolycus armatus aka Payara aka Vampire fish - This bad boys are get up to 40lbs but when hooked they spend more time out of the water then in and damn do they have some teeth, Ive owned two and bit by one!

Tiger Fish - Never have owned a goliath but would like to catch one, heck any species of the four or five in the genus will do!

One fish that Ive never owned but would love to and love to catch - Salminus maxilosus - Dorado out of Southern Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay. These fish are like pitbulls, pure muscle, teeth and jaws! Quit tasty too according to my father in law from Paraguay!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts