Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a practically new Penn 4/0 set up for Tarpon and Kingfish. It has Thomas nylon and teflon washers that max out around 8#. I need the most drag I can get. How much it cost to replace washers? I've been screwed locally.

Also, the handle knob is stiff. Is there an easy way to free it up? I haven't tried anything yet. I was considering squirting Deep Creep into the oil port.

Registered
Go to Alantani's site for the Penn 4/0 reel service tutorial with step by step pictures. Buy your replacement drag washers from Smooth drag and replace them yourself. Some lubricant on the handle should free it up. Then as a routine spray your reel down with water after each fishing trip, spray it with Penn Rod and Reel cleaner and wipe it dry. And lastly you should disassemble clean and service your reel every other year or so.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need max drag. Heck, I'd like to lock it all the way down.

Where I fish, everything is sharp. (8-30 feet) If a fish gets even his nose against a rock, he wins. When I was chartering, I'd often go through 100-200 circle hooks per week. That gets expensive.

I wear a thumb stall most of the time. I want a fish to break 80# test rather than cut it. If he breaks it, I feel like he was the better man in the fight. I need the strongest drag possible rather than the smoothest.

Registered
The carbontex drag washers are good, but you can always go back to the Penn washers, which I believe are called HT-100. As far as smooth goes, don't use the Cal's grease.

OCD Reel Service/Repair
Ken shoot me you address. I鈥檓 a dealer for Smooth Drag. I will send you a set for free.

Keith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts