Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I need a new inshore reel. My little Shimano is still working great after about 5+ years of trashing it but I think it's time for that reel to be a backup. I want a reel I can use for slot Redfish and Trout, but still be able to handle a big Red or a Schoolie King. Right now I'm interested in U.S. reels. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
386 Posts
i had the same conflict i wanted something that i could use inshore for redfish and trout but also something i could use for snapper and bull reds and grouper what i got was a Shimano Stradic 8000(which is the perfect size small enough to jig with but tough enough to handle reeling in the big fish) What i got rod wise is a Shimano Trevala,when the salesman at half hitch bait and tackle showed me this he said "im going to hold this end and i want you to try to break it" i tried with all my weight and i could not break it. now this rod is the perfect rod it is small enough to jig with and feel every little nibble and is tough enough to catch big fish so far a 38 inch AJ a 9.7 lb red snapper and a 24lb grouper and countless specks and slot redfishall of these were reeled in with no trouble i like this setup so much im buying 2 more of the same setups for this Christmas i hope this helps good luck Garett

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Stradic 8000 seems awfully big to me for trout and slot redfish. Seems to me they'd be skiing across the top of the water as you were reeling them in :).

What I bought when I was looking for something small enough for trout and reds, but hefty enough for bigger redfish and snook was a Penn Slammer, the size I got was the 460, but after casting that thing for a couple of hours my arm feels like it's going to fall off (the combo seems awfully heavy, or maybe I'm getting to be a wimp in my old age), so looking back I wish I would've gotten the 360. Having said that, I've caught trout, reds, snook, legal cobia and kings and about a million spanish on it withonly oneproblem. The only problem I've had is the paint started coming off on parts of it, so I took it into work a few weeks and painted it and made it look like new.

Daiwa also makes some reels you might be interested in. It also depends on your price range (or whoever's going to be buying you Christmas gifts price range). You almost can't go wrong with a Shimano, but I guess I'm also getting cheap in my old age and almost can't see paying the money they want for some of them.

·
Registered
386 Posts
as far as the stradic 8000 being to big it really is not as big as you think i have a 6000 and sometimes cant tell them apart and if you turn the drag low then its still a good fight now i can tell a bit of diffrence in the retrieval rate but i use mine targeting (big) reds and specks as well as a butterfly jigging reel if its to big then go with a 4000 or 2500 anyhow good luck Garett

·
Registered
782 Posts
on the high side i love my cabo pts30 but, on the low side i like my spheros 4000. both function as well as the other. i do think i will have more longevity out of the quantum. when it was time to ad to the arsenal again i went spheros again. 100.00 cheaper.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i have two 240XL us reels and love them. i've had one for almost a year and the other for about two months. no problems at all, holds an amazing amount of line. great drag and also comes with arbors to take up space on the spool in case you dont want all that line. they cast really well and if you shop around you can find them cheeper than most other higher end reels. i've used them inshore for redfish and trout. also in the surf for pompano.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I've decided between the 230 and 240 XL us Reel. I know Boaters World has them, but does Outcast?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
one of the new 4000 sustains.

·
Registered
107 Posts
the new stradic 2500 looks pretty good, the only thing i had a concern about is the way you have to tighten the handle.

My cousin just got a us reel and that thing can cast a mile, awsome reel, meant for braid

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Any Van Staal 100s for sale for less than 300????? There is one on Ebay but its $400 I think and it's gold--too much BLING for me :doh

·
Registered
25 Posts
wishiniwasfishin07 (11/19/2007)OK I need a new inshore reel. My little Shimano is still working great after about 5+ years of trashing it but I think it's time for that reel to be a backup. I want a reel I can use for slot Redfish and Trout, but still be able to handle a big Red or a Schoolie King. Right now I'm interested in U.S. reels. Any suggestions ?

I have several anglers fishing with the new WaveCast Reel who competes in the IFA Redfish Tour. Contact me @ 380-0606 if you are interested in seeing one. Click on this link to read more about the reel.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Well this Is just one man,s opinion I agree with most of everybody on here about the style of reel to use for slot reds ,bull reds and everything in between, You can,t go wrong with buying a Stradic, Or a Sahara and even a Spheros , you can even buy a Sedona 4000 and put 15lb test line on and with the right rod, get everything your looking for , for inshore fish if you want to buy a Shimano Reel ,which I have some , but The Penn reels ,from 430 to a 550 ssg will do the same Job, Don,t know too much about U.S reels ,But if you go by any of the local tackle shop,s they will be more than Happy to set you up with the right combo,We have the Spheros for 10% off at HHT if you are interested, Tight Lines everybody!!

·
Super Moderator
12,781 Posts
Pastor Billy (11/23/2007)
wishiniwasfishin07 (11/19/2007)OK I need a new inshore reel. My little Shimano is still working great after about 5+ years of trashing it but I think it's time for that reel to be a backup. I want a reel I can use for slot Redfish and Trout, but still be able to handle a big Red or a Schoolie King. Right now I'm interested in U.S. reels. Any suggestions ?
I have several anglers fishing with the new WaveCast Reel who competes in the IFA Redfish Tour. Contact me @ 380-0606 if you are interested in seeing one. Click on this link to read more about the reel.
JLMass won one of those reels in the RFRA raffle, i fished it and i must say, i was very impressed!, great reel for the money:bowdown

·
Registered
138 Posts
VS200B (11/20/2007)personally, i wouldn't go any bigger than a 4000 stradic.
I fish for king mackeral and bull redfish with a 2500 stradic.....if you put 20 lb. powere pro on it, it WILL work. I would never use anything larger than a 4000 for inshore fishing.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts