Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fixing to purchase my first kayak and trying to decide what paddle to get. I'm looking at getting the Jackson cuda 14 and will be fishing around the bay and the barrier islands around biloxi. Right now I'm leaning towards the bending branches pro angler. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Carbon fiber is stronger and lighter and I understand the blades are stiffer. I've heard that they are much easier on long runs, but for short runs and puttering around fishing I don't think it would matter. I've got a Carlisle, I believe it is the "day tripper" or something like that and was about $50. I've gone about 7 miles round trip with it with no problem. My only complaint is that when I'm really putting some power into it I can feel the blade flex.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I've got a couple aquabound carbon shafts/plastic blade paddles that I've put through hard service now going on 8 years for one of them. Paddling in all kinds of conditions and pushing off all kinds of rocks, concrete pillings, etc. and they're worked great!

The weight doesn't feel that big a difference when you're holding one at the store but after paddling for an hour or so, you'll notice a BIG difference.

I like to go with the rule of 100's. Spend at least $100 for a good paddle and at least $100 for a good seat with lots of padding and back support. Also, spend a little extra up front for a good comfortable PFD and BE SURE YOU WEAR IT!!! I've got an Extrasport Osprey with lots of pockets for gear, or you can get an inflatable if you want something less bulky.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
221 Posts
My rule with the paddle is to spend what you normally spend on your rod/reel combo. The paddle will be in your hands just as much. I'm a fan of carbon fiber because it doesn't get hot or cold, it's super stiff and really light. After that, fiber glass is the way to go. I'm a fan of the Werner Skagit FG/CF in a longer paddle for the Cuda. A touring blade with a long shaft is the way to go for long distances in the cuda.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Werner Camano

I went through this about a year ago and ended up with the Camano 27.5 ounces. Try out different blade styles and u will quickly learn there is a huge difference. I fish off shore and wanted something good for a 8-10 mile day. Started with a 100 dollar paddle and it felt like a 2x6 after I got used to the Camano. Get below 30 ounces if u can afford it u won't be sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts