Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Ultralite (11/24/2009)
fishFEEDER9697 (11/24/2009)Ideally-- the members would moderate themselves, and there wouldn't have to be an eye-in-the-sky to keep people in line.

The problem lies in the inherent nature of the medium-- written word. Not all of us are as articulate as you (Mr Garbo). This leads to people trying to read between the lines and second guess each other. The inherent nature of people, especially in a quasi-public setting,makes them react defensively, and people start getting all jumpy. Why is that their (our) nature? I don't know. (I think youstarted a post a while back about little man syndrome?)

Bottom line: If all members would make their best effort to commuicate at the highest level possible and exercise a little tolerance, then there would be no need for moderation. Until then, whoever is responsible for this whole thing has to draw the line somewhere, and as you pointed out, that line is going to be somewhat subjective. We can only hope that it is applied evenly across the board.

+2

That's why I love the Digg (www.digg.com) news site, it is self moderated. Users can vote a story to the top, or give it a "thumbs down" and bury the story.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
moderators have nothing to do with people being butholes to someone who is asking questions to learn something new. everyday someone is a wise but to someone else on this forum. there is great info on here is why i keep looking, just dont post much for the above reasons.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
fishFEEDER9697 (11/24/2009)Ideally-- the members would moderate themselves, and there wouldn't have to be an eye-in-the-sky to keep people in line.

The problem lies in the inherent nature of the medium-- written word. Not all of us are as articulate as you (Mr Garbo). This leads to people trying to read between the lines and second guess each other. The inherent nature of people, especially in a quasi-public setting,makes them react defensively, and people start getting all jumpy. Why is that their (our) nature? I don't know. (I think youstarted a post a while back about little man syndrome?)

Bottom line: If all members would make their best effort to commuicate at the highest level possible and exercise a little tolerance, then there would be no need for moderation. Until then, whoever is responsible for this whole thing has to draw the line somewhere, and as you pointed out, that line is going to be somewhat subjective. We can only hope that it is applied evenly across the board.
What does"articulate" mean?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Main Entry: <SUP>1</SUP>ar·tic·u·late <INPUT class=au title="Listen to the pronunciation of 1articulate" onclick="return au('articu10', 'articulate');" type=button></DIV>Pronunciation: <SPAN class=pr>\är-<SPAN class=unicode>'ti-ky?-l?t\</DIV>Function: adjective </DIV>Etymology: Latin articulatus jointed, past participle of articulare, from articulus</DIV>Date: 1586</DIV><P class=d>1 a : divided into syllables or words meaningfully arranged : intelligible b : able <SPAN class=IL_AD id=IL_AD1><U>to speak</U> c : expressing oneself readily, clearly, or effectively <SPAN class=vi><an articulate teacher>; also : expressed in this manner <SPAN class=vi><an articulate argument>

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Garbo, Do you make money off these left wing questions? I have yet to understand most of them. What Info does it do for you to know? Just an honest Question back at you. You are ok with me but the Questions are somewhat out there. Just asking.:banghead

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
King Crab (11/25/2009)Garbo, Do you make money off these left wing questions? I have yet to understand most of them. What Info does it do for you to know? Just an honest Question back at you. You are ok with me but the Questions are somewhat out there. Just asking.:banghead

how dare you show your back to the White Marlin!!

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OMEGA (11/25/2009)
King Crab (11/25/2009)Garbo, Do you make money off these left wing questions? I have yet to understand most of them. What Info does it do for you to know? Just an honest Question back at you. You are ok with me but the Questions are somewhat out there. Just asking.:banghead
how dare you show your back to the White Marlin!!
Omega - That's funny.

To be completely honest: I have met and have a lot of friends that are members on this forum, and I use the forum more to communicate with them more than anything else. Years ago I joined and I am very thankful for a huge number of people that I have met through membership here. Years ago I posted alot more than I do now. I read fishing and hunting reports, but would not be a member if that were all I used this website for, as it would bore me away to just read fishing reports and look at pictures. I like to share and learn from others and enjoy understanding and learning about how others think differently than I do on a topic and pretty much any topic. If you look at the activity levels in the General Topic and Off Topic sections it would be apparent that there are many members like I, that would be bored to death to only be able to read fishing reports.

If I have done anything to offend or bother you, I do apologize, as I would prefer for my presence not to make your enjoyment of the forum difficult or even slightly unpleasent. Please Accept.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts