Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I caught this thing when I was in California fishing off of Catalina Island, trying to get some bait with a sabiki.

It had these flaps of loose skin that hung down from the top jaw. I assume its used as a warning or mating. Right after I told my brother to "hurry up with the camera cuz he looks like he wants to bite me" he bit the crap out of me

I wanna say I've seen one of these on tv years ago on some nature show

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
and that is funny!

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
It is a species of jawfish but I'm not sure which one. Look up Jawfish and I'm sure you'll find it although there are quite a few species

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tunapopper (11/19/2009)It is a species of jawfish but I'm not sure which one. Look up Jawfish and I'm sure you'll find it although there are quite a few species
Yeah I think you are right and there is alot of different kinds of them. I couldn't find one that looked the same as far as color pattern

·
Registered
216 Posts
Looks like it's in the Gobyfamily. When I was out there they called them frill(ed) or wing(ed) gobies or some such. That was many moons ago, '87 or '88.

They came up a lot in crab and lobster pots. Lots of different kinds everywhere, even here. Pull up old cans and oyster shells and you can find gobies. They make passable bait. Flounders like them.

BT

·
Registered
216 Posts
They make neat aquarium specimens, too. Give 'em some rocks and shells to hide under. Feed 'em live grass shrimp and stuff like that. They are ambush type feeders.

BT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts