Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Really Senior Member
484 Posts
In the last 8 years I have had a 2002 ShoreLand?r aluminum, 1973 Magic Tilt galvanized, and a 1997 Rocket galvanized.

The Rocket is still in good shape. I have been through several sets of springs but that's to be expected in saltwater use.

The Magic Tilt was okay for it's age but the rear cross member was nearly rusted through where the bunk brackets attached.

The 2002 ShoreLand?r aluminum was a total POS. Aluminum frame, galvanized cross members and cadmium plated bolts are NOT a good mix in saltwater. Guaranteed to corrode. All trailer builders need to read up on galvanic corrosion and crevice corrosion. After two years I started replacing the fasteners with SS to keep if from falling apart. The el cheapo tail light sockets were corroded beyond repair after about a dozen dunks in saltwater. The side marker lights did not even last that long.

Why does nearly every trailer manufacturer sell trailers that are not road legal for use in Florida? (i.e. Gross weight over 3000 lb. requires brakes on ALL wheels?)

http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/in...TM&Title=->2009->Ch0316->Section 261#0316.261

(3) BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.--Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:

(a) Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds,
provided that:

1. The total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers; and

2. The combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of s. 316.262.

· Really Senior Member
484 Posts
X-Shark (2/5/2010)

Forward Keel bunks take care of this problem and make the boat Soooo much easier to load. I have rerigged several trailers for people by adding forward Keel bunks and they Love them.

Absolutely. I have added forward bunks to both of my trailers, my sons, and a friends. All are now totally painless one man drive on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.