Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who haven't heard about us... we are Tomahawk Trailers, Inc. located in Milton. We specialize in new aluminum boat trailers. You may have seen our Starline model rolling through the streets.

Long story short, we are asking...

What kind of trailer is your boat sitting on? Hi-Tech, Magictilt, Loadmaster, home-made, etc.???

Is it a single, tandem or triple axle trailer?

What do you like about your trailer?

What irks you about your trailer? Any issues you have faced?

We are simply looking to compare our current design against the likes/dislikes of local boat-trailering individuals like yourself. We are not posting this to bring on the bashing of our competitors products, for there is surely to be plenty of praise for a number of their products. We simply want some honest input on your personal trailer experiences.

Your input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Magic Tilt. I would like to see someone in the trailer industry come up with and offer a trailer with all the common sense stuff already on it. Such as a spare tire and a jack. I understand that this varies by region as to what sholud be considered standard but it is a safe assumption that in a saltwater community people would want or will need and dont know stainless bolts etc. whereas in the great lakes region it aint a big deal. I would like to see someone start offering a salt water series and a fresh water series.

·
Really Senior Member
485 Posts
In the last 8 years I have had a 2002 ShoreLand?r aluminum, 1973 Magic Tilt galvanized, and a 1997 Rocket galvanized.

The Rocket is still in good shape. I have been through several sets of springs but that's to be expected in saltwater use.

The Magic Tilt was okay for it's age but the rear cross member was nearly rusted through where the bunk brackets attached.

The 2002 ShoreLand?r aluminum was a total POS. Aluminum frame, galvanized cross members and cadmium plated bolts are NOT a good mix in saltwater. Guaranteed to corrode. All trailer builders need to read up on galvanic corrosion and crevice corrosion. After two years I started replacing the fasteners with SS to keep if from falling apart. The el cheapo tail light sockets were corroded beyond repair after about a dozen dunks in saltwater. The side marker lights did not even last that long.

Why does nearly every trailer manufacturer sell trailers that are not road legal for use in Florida? (i.e. Gross weight over 3000 lb. requires brakes on ALL wheels?)

http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC261.HTM&Title=-%3E2009-%3ECh0316-%3ESection%20261#0316.261

(3) BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.--Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:

(a) Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds,
provided that:

1. The total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers; and

2. The combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of s. 316.262.

·
Registered
455 Posts
In the last 3 years I have had an Ameritrial, Starline, and a magictilt.

The ameritrail was probably the worst, I had to replace every light, wire and brakeson it in about a year.

The starline I didn't keep long but the person I sold it to has recently had issues. I'm sure he will chime in soon.

The magictilt has been the best I have only replaced one light, aground connection and they sent me a set of lug nuts b/c the originals rusted (free).

As far as suggestions: I think it would be a great idea to keep all the ground wires run back to the tounge of the trailer so they stay out of the saltwater "Most" of the time.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have a Kenner cc on a single axle Tracker trailer. I like the swing away tounge seems to be a good trailer. It has the side step that runs from the fender all the way to the back of the trailer. This is a good feature unless you want to add guides on the side. I have not found the PVC style or the horizontal carpeted guides withkit that does not require me to cut holes in the step.Most of the ramps near my home are very steep and getting the boat on the trailer usually requires leaving the trailer too shallow, then backing the truck down deeper then cranking it the rest of the way. If I back the truck too far down the boat will float over the fenders:banghead:banghead:banghead. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
hardyboy,

Kudo's to you for seeking input. As with all things, price is usually a consideration, so the more you can do and include, at a good price/quality point will go a long way toward helping sales and keeping up your reputation.

I feel I have to tell you that my last trailer was an Owen's and Sons. By far the best trailer I've ever owned, or seen bar none. It was an aluminum frame, with torsion axles, and Kodiak discs. It was so great and towed so well that I was interested in buying another when I bought the current boat I own. I priced them and found I could buy an equivalently (sp) made, but smaller trailer for my current boat for about $600 more than I paid for the DHM trailer I ended up buying. The DHM I bought is a decent trailer; it's aluminum, torsion axles with Kodiak discs, and so I thought comparable to the Owen's and Sons, for $600 less, but mainly I didn't have to travel to Tampa to get it. If I had it to do over I wouldn't hesitate to drive to Tampa and pay the additional $600. As I mentioned, the DHM is "decent", but they did cut some corners. For example, the fender supports are flimsy, rather than have a crossmember running the complete width and mounting the fender supports to it, they simply clamped on two short pieces of aluminum tubing to the fram and mounted the fenders to that. Not really a structural problem, but a cheap shortcut. Also, I don't believe they did much of anything to align the axles. All four tires wear excessively on just the inside edges. One trip to the Keys and back (barely) and they're shot. My O & S trailer was towed all over Florida before I got it and after and the tires were like new when I sold it. It was perfectly aligned.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
I have a loadmaster trailer dual axle and I absolutely, possitively hate the mickey mouse oil fill axle caps. I have had problems with mybearings and seals more times than I can count. I need to replace 2 spindles and hubs right now as we speak, but they won't be that kind for sure.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I like to have tall guide-ons with the lights mounted up high on the guide-on (makes backing the trailer really easy and especially after the trailer drops off the ramp), good spots to anchor straps on the frame, good spot for a spare tire. maybe there's more things I prefer in a trailer.... I'll think....

an underwater light in the center of the trailer would be pretty cool for night loading.....

·
Registered
749 Posts
performance 6 wheel

Like:

1-) The aluminum frame

Dislike:

1-)Had to replace all six of the spindles because the retaining nuts were not sealed from salt water and rusted off.

2-) Had to replace the "drum brakes" because I was foolish in thinking that the flush connector on the frame would rinse the salt water from the brakes.

Really Like:

1-) The stainless brakes w/ ceramic disk pads that replaced the drum brakes

2-) Like that the new master cylinder will lock and not allow the trailer to roll backwards when the truck is not in reverse.

3-) The LED trailer lights

Would Like:

1-) Wish I had install a dual wheeled jack so that the tongue could be moved a little left or right when needed.

Billy-Bob

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">I have a tandem axle Magic tilt and the lug nuts have rusted and become extremely difficult to take off. The brakes rusted completely shut in spite of rinsing after every use and I had to take them off. The hubs are rusting badly. I?ve had this trailer for approximately 4 years.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I dont know what I have but it came with my boat my boat is a 1958 Fibercraft out of Miami it is a single axel steel custome done custume paint but you are welcome to come by and take a look at it and see if I can improveit

Bill

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Good customer service!!!! If i have a problem with my trailer and it is fairly new i would love for the company to help me out anyway they can.... I know times are hard and they cant give things away but if a company goes out of their way to help me then im gonna suggest them to everyone

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I have a magictilt. Removed the drum brakes after one year. Moved the tail lights to the top of the guide posts. Side lights were useless after a year. Switched to a two wheel front jack. I know it would increase cost, but anything that can be aluminum or stainless would be better than galvenized. Shelling out the extra $ in the beginning is better than the $ and headache later. And I agree with uping what is considered standard.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I have a magictilt. Removed the drum brakes after one year. Moved the tail lights to the top of the guide posts. Side lights were useless after a year. Switched to a two wheel front jack. I know it would increase cost, but anything that can be aluminum or stainless would be better than galvenized. Shelling out the extra $ in the beginning is better than the $ and headache later. And I agree with uping what is considered standard.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
When I first talked to Brad @ Hi Tech many years ago I had a full legal pad spelled out as to what I wanted in a trailer.

He was the only one that said...."That's the way we build them."

Since that time he and I have become good friends. I've sold a bunch of his trailers for him.

I have also bought parts from him to add forward Keel bunks on trailers that were not equipped that way. Those customers Love them now, due to the trailer being setup correctly for the boat and making it easy to load and unload.

The only thing that NO trailer manufacture does is do a good wiring job to make it last. The use of Scotchlocks is abundant in the trailer business.

But the last time I talked to Brad the subject came up again. He said not a problem to solder and shrink tube the whole system. But it's a extra cost, but it is available.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
billin (2/2/2010)Magic Tilt. I would like to see someone in the trailer industry come up with and offer a trailer with all the common sense stuff already on it. Such as a spare tire and a jack. I understand that this varies by region as to what sholud be considered standard but it is a safe assumption that in a saltwater community people would want or will need and dont know stainless bolts etc. whereas in the great lakes region it aint a big deal. I would like to see someone start offering a salt water series and a fresh water series.

Starting in March, we plan to upgrade our "Standard" package to include the spare tire (with the option to deduct it from the sale price for those who don't want it).

All Tomahawk Trailers come standard with Stainless Steel fasteners; however, we like the idea of presenting "fresh water" pricing for those who want to downsize their cost by utilizing galvanized fasteners and accessories. But then again, we don't want to upset our galvanized trailer-building buddies down the street... thus we typically refer our customers to Eddie English when they are looking for a freshwater trailer.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
snapperfan (2/2/2010)In the last 8 years I have had a 2002 ShoreLand?r aluminum, 1973 Magic Tilt galvanized, and a 1997 Rocket galvanized.

The Rocket is still in good shape. I have been through several sets of springs but that's to be expected in saltwater use.

The Magic Tilt was okay for it's age but the rear cross member was nearly rusted through where the bunk brackets attached.

The 2002 ShoreLand?r aluminum was a total POS. Aluminum frame, galvanized cross members and cadmium plated bolts are NOT a good mix in saltwater. Guaranteed to corrode. All trailer builders need to read up on galvanic corrosion and crevice corrosion. After two years I started replacing the fasteners with SS to keep if from falling apart. The el cheapo tail light sockets were corroded beyond repair after about a dozen dunks in saltwater. The side marker lights did not even last that long.

Why does nearly every trailer manufacturer sell trailers that are not road legal for use in Florida? (i.e. Gross weight over 3000 lb. requires brakes on ALL wheels?)

http://www.flsenate.gov/STATUTES/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0316/SEC261.HTM&Title=-%3E2009-%3ECh0316-%3ESection%20261#0316.261

(3) BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS.--Every vehicle shall be equipped with brakes acting on all wheels except:

(a) Trailers, semitrailers, or pole trailers of a gross weight not exceeding 3,000 pounds,
provided that:

1. The total weight on and including the wheels of the trailer or trailers shall not exceed 40 percent of the gross weight of the towing vehicle when connected to the trailer or trailers; and

2. The combination of vehicles, consisting of the towing vehicle and its total towed load, is capable of complying with the performance requirements of s. 316.262.

Leaf springs are trouble. We install torsion axles on our trailers.

We understand your concern about "legal" trailers. I have tried explaining this before on other areas of this forum, so I will be brief. Basically, what we build--as trailer manufacturers across the board--is what the customer wants. The trailer owner is responsible for adhering to the laws, thus if an individual comes to us and only wants brakes on one set of wheels (say on a tandem axle trailer)... the Owner assumes all responsibility for any deviation to the laws. I can tell you that there are dealers out there, who as a customer, request this deviation to save costs. Further, as you posted above, line item a2 allows that you can technically, by law, tow a boat behind your vehicle on a trailer not having brakes on all wheels and still meet the performance requirements of 316.262. It all comes down to the law (i.e. the government) versus one's pocketbook. And in reality, MANY individuals/dealers opt to save costs and maintenance down the road rather than incorporating the brakes on ALL wheels. Effective 2010, we price all our trailers with brakes on all wheels... from there we take Owner direction as to adds and deducts.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts