Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I would first ask to everyone who chooses to respond, please do so in a respectful, non antagonizing, civilized way. So that we can have a real conversation without this thread being locked by moderators.

That being said, with today's tragic events in Connecticut, which involved misuse of a firearm, what can be done to prevent this?

Personally, I am against gun control for multiple reasons. main reason, criminals don't obey laws therefor I carry and own to protect those around me, if ever faced with an unfortunate situation.

Do any of you have another view or opinion on this? How in the world do we prevent such events?!?!?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Simply put I dont think you can prevent it. I personally think eventually schools will start going the route courts and other federal/state offices/buildings have gone with a check-in entry point/screening system to help minimize these incidents. However if someone wants to do some harm, they are going to find away to do some. There will always be away to get around what preventive measures are put into place.

I also am against gun control.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
The shooter was diagnosed with acute psychosis and was only 20 years old. Both things SHOULD have disqualified him from possessing a handgun, but these Pieces of Shizzle that commit this type of crime don't care about any law.
The solution is to enforce mandatory stiff prison sentences for anyone using a gu to commit a crime, and stop sensationalizing these attacks with 24-hour news coverage.

·
Registered
538 Posts
This is a very sad day for sure, Prayers sent to all the families involved.
Taking away guns wont stop it.
These sickos will just find another way to do it.
like a home made bomb or something.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Allowing teachers to carry.
The POTUS wants to create jobs....school security forces throughout the country. 2-3 man security teams based at every school.. not just security guards with guns but truly trained security minded individuals. Imagine the jobs that would create, the deterrent it would be and how much safer everyone would be

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
When I was in Israel, all guided school tours were accompanied by an armed guard. We need to have armed security at schools to deter these people.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Wirelessly posted

The POTUS wants to create jobs....school security forces throughout the country. 2-3 man security teams based at every school.. not just security guards with guns but truly trained security minded individuals. Imagine the jobs that would create, the deterrent it would be and how much safer everyone would be
The Malls next? Then what? Disney? I'm sure Obama would LOVE to expand the Government that we pay for, with Federal Security. This was a tragedy. No doubt, but this is he world we live in now.

No more gun control other than what's in place.

Prayers to the families of those affected today.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The only thing we can do is teach our children right from wrong and that there are consequences for their actions. But the cold hard truth is that there is evil in this world. Evil people will do evil things. That will never change. The only thing good people can do is educate and be prepared for evil when it appears.

Nothing is going to prevent a psychotic from doing things like this but you can be prepared when it does happen. Perhaps, in each school, their could be a select few people that are allowed access to a few (maybe a dozen or so) firearms strategically locked up, and out of view of the students, though out the school (maybe next to every fire extinguisher) that could be accessed very quickly when something like this happens. It might not save every one but it could save some. Some people saved is better than none saved.

You can pass all the laws you want and it won't change a thing. We could ban guns tomorrow and it will only serve to create a black market for firearms in this country. Probably from Mexico.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
sorry for all involved, but the govt and media are twisting this just the way they want.
If there were no guns involved, these people can get anything they need on the internet for bombs, poisons drug mixtures.....
Craziness can not be stopped only matched at strength, our govt does nothing to discourage this behavior, let career criminals walk out of prisons everyday, and thier answer is to take guns.....
The real answer is for the American public to stand up and be people instead of being flocked and brain washed like animals and match the power of crazy people by empowering themselvs with thier 2nd adm right and have the ability to protect themselves as well as protect a fellow American in trouble.
Simply stand up for good

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
I've thought about this a lot. I honestly think that every large institution, be it a school, corporation, etc. should have a couple of trained, trusted employees (on each floor) that carry at all times AND have access to locked up ARs or shotguns. It won't stop a crazy but it will limit the damage he can cause before he's taken down.
I'm not talking about armed guards, I'm talking about people that normally work there. I'm sure that most places have a few gun enthusiasts that will require minimal training to get very proficient and they should be allowed to practice bi-weekly at company expense.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Wirelessly posted

tigerbait said:
Wirelessly posted

The Malls next? Then what? Disney? I'm sure Obama would LOVE to expand the Government that we pay for, with Federal Security. This was a tragedy. No doubt, but this is he world we live in now.

No more gun control other than what's in place.

Prayers to the families of those affected today.
We're talking about protecting kids at school. Adults at the mall and Disney are on their own to carry or not, to protect themselves and others in public. Kids don't have that option and neither do their teachers at school.
Give that option to them and a security force trained to protect them also.
There are many vets that would answer the call I'm sure that could use the work and are for the most part trained

·
Super Moderator
12,826 Posts
I believe the only feasible way to protect schools is to have them lockdown style like courthouses. Everyone who enters is screened and all entries locked otherwise.

Where would the funding come from to train 5 people for every school. While I think that would work in terms of protection, financially it could never happen. A metal detector, one cop (school recourse officer) and one person in charge of all late admittance to the school would be a hell of a lot cheaper than training and weapons for 5 people that could transfer. Just my .03

Sent from my LG G2X using Forum Runner

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
I believe the only feasible way to protect schools is to have them lockdown style like courthouses. Everyone who enters is screened and all entries locked otherwise.

Where would the funding come from to train 5 people for every school. While I think that would work in terms of protection, financially it could never happen. A metal detector, one cop (school recourse officer) and one person in charge of all late admittance to the school would be a hell of a lot cheaper than training and weapons for 5 people that could transfer. Just my .03

Sent from my LG G2X using Forum Runner
That's why I suggested training regular employees. There are enthusiasts that shoot regularly and are better shots than any security guard and they should be used. The extra expense would be minimal - some time off and money for ammo and range time.
Ideally, the best solution would be to have two cops and a metal detector at every entrance AND limited access but economically that's not going to happen.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
That's why I suggested training regular employees. There are enthusiasts that shoot regularly and are better shots than any security guard and they should be used. The extra expense would be minimal - some time off and money for ammo and range time.
Ideally, the best solution would be to have two cops and a metal detector at every entrance AND limited access but economically that's not going to happen.
So when one of them snap, you will have a better trained maniac.

I don't have the answer, but as I sit here hunting and reading the latest news I feel like puking.

Count your blessings, cherish every moment with your children, there are 18 sets of parents who are going through there own hell.

·
Praedator
10,076 Posts
Raise your children to respect everyone and hold parents accountable for their children. This kind of thing is going to happen more and more as children are not raised to properly respect another person. Children do not respect the property of others and much more. This issue is bigger than gun control. We are having more and more wackos raised by society and not raised by a dang parents (plural on purpose) that care about/love them.

It's sad. From what I hear, this wacko got the guns from his mother. Why did he have access????? If my guns are not on me, they are locked up. Period!!!!!!! Only myself and my wife have access. Not my brother, not my mother, not my sister, not anyone. No one knows the code to my safes other than us. Guess what, I carry while in my house since I have children and can't lay them around the house in case I need one in an emergency.

Hold people accountable to giving someone access to a gun that uses it in a crime. If it's stollen out of a safe, that's one thing. If it's stollen in a home burglary, that's ok too. But, do not allow people that come and go within your house, (friends or family) to have access to guns in your house. These crimes mostly start off because a family member or friend had their weapon stolen by the wacko doing the shooting. Common sense tells you to keep your firearms secure. If you are alone, have no kids and have no friends over ever, then leave them out everywhere for all I care. But the moment you have people over to your house, they need to be secure. You cannot trust anyone.

We are not going to stop these type things with any type of law. It starts in the family upbringing. And that's going down the drain. So expect more crappy things to go on in society. Sucks a big fat one. But all I can do is raise my children to respect others and other's property. To say yes sir, no sir etc.... To grow up in a loving family unit. Show my children what it's like to love another person unconditionally with how I treat and love my wife. And so much more. It starts at home.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't know how to prevent this, you can lock things down but usually it goes to bigger guns in those instances. "They're carrying pistols, ok I'm going in with auto's/grenade/small bombs." Just start going through iterations of that and you'll see where we'll be going. If you start getting police in the schools/malls/etc that are armed then you'll have the institutions starting to ask for subsidies for a government mandate. (Further debt)

I believe you could allow people to carry weapons that work in their respective areas but have them go through training, certification, and PSYCH EVALS regularly. The reason for the psych evals is self explainatory but, we had a middle school try to commit suicide (yes he failed to do so, had a wound through his cheek) with a pistol that was kept in his office desk with lock and key during one weekend and we were all a little confused over it on Monday when he was gone and we heard what was going on.

It comes down to this, we can lock everything down but become a communist like country and live in fear and void of happiness because we are told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it 24/7/365. Or, we can start treating individuals like they are supposed to, everyone is their own 'island' (think pioneer days here folks). and try to keep things like our fore-fathers wanted us to and still have tragedies but not on such a large scale. We're in no man's land right now, we're not communists, but we're not Capitalists either. But that's a debate for another time...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Pioneer days are gone, because half of us know what that means and the other half wants their govt to tell them what that means.
Our world has been changed since 9/11. Maybe before then but that was the wakeup. To a point we do need things locked down.
Our schools used to be naively thought of as a safe place for our kids. That has obviously been proven to be the opposite. We as a society owe it to our children to make sure they are safe there.
Allow teachers and bus drivers to carry for a start and see if that helps. If it doesn't (and I'm sure it would)then escalate security from there.
On another note if the first family can spend millions on a vacation we can find money somewhere to train teachers to defend our children and the lives of others.
Domestic terror is alive and well. We better face it head on and deal with it the best we can before another nutjob gets tired of sitting on the couch.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Let me clarify but what I meant for 'pioneer days'. I didn't mean go back to totally like how it was with no rules. The teachers/bus drivers/admin staff will have the right to carry arms on school but will have to keep up with compliance rules set forth by the governing body. That way the kids are better protected and that will deter further tragedies.

As for the money issue, I believe that the schools will have to come up with it. We're already so far it debt that if we keep this up and keep subsidizing people we're screwed royally and soon. We can't keep everyone afloat in this country, even the president shouldn't be able to give us the bill to go take a multi-million dollar vacation, he should be able to foot some of the bill. It's just wrong, would you take a vacation if you were in debt? Nope you would be working and staying home.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts