Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually fish with live shrimp but figured I would buy some kind of silver spoon to try.
I was in Academy the other day and they had about 6 different brands/sizes.
What have you had the best luck with ? I need brand/model/size.
Or, if it's not a silver spoon, what is it ?
Thanks.

·
Master of Disaster
3,043 Posts
The size spoon might be relative to the fish and conditions you are fishing. I used to kill monster redfish in Perdido Pass at dawn and dusk with a big ol' 3 oz silver spoon on a heavy surf rod- so we are talking about larger fish in low light conditions with fairly strong current at times.
Inshore, I'd say about a 3/4 - 1 oz or so.
But its been awhile since I've had the chance to really target inshore reds. One of my "personal" fall and spring go-to is a chartreuse Strike King "Redfish Magic" on my baitcaster. :) In Crystal River we have had a lot of luck with DOA CAL paddle-tail.
And if you ask my wife, Cookie...... It's only live shrimp. But she has done pretty well with fresh cut pinfish and croaker when she has run out of live bait.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,927 Posts
Depends on the size of redfish I'm targeting & the area at which I'm targeting them.

Sometimes a big 1 oz. topwater, sometimes a 1/2 oz. topwater, sometimes a 1.5 oz. spoon, sometimes a 5/16 oz. Golden Eye jighead paired w/ a Matrix or Vortex Shad, sometimes a 1.5 oz. jighead w/ an 8'' chartreuse twister tail grub, sometimes a 1 & 5/8 oz. Super Pogey rattletrap.

175 Posts
I really like to catch them on Zara Spooks, but generally I catch slot reds in the rivers using a red crankbait (Rapala DT4 being my favorite) or a red rattletrap type lure. I also have good luck on Gulp baits with a 1/4 oz. jig head. I only use quality jig heads because a big red will bend out the cheap ones.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Matrix Shad.... myself, friends, fellow captains and clients all use it!

I have caught my largest Red Fish on it and the most the best part of this lure is that it will catch almost every other species while ur targeting the 1.... easy eay to catch a slam

Dont get me wrong I like to use other lures as well.... but if i had to choose 1 specifically for reds..... no brainer

Attachments

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Matrix Shad has probably caught more red fish in the Pensacola area the past 3 years then any other lure..... go back in the archives and look for yourself.... everyone has figured it out..... it simply works.

Attachments

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,927 Posts
Matrix Shad has probably caught more red fish in the Pensacola area the past 3 years then any other lure..... go back in the archives and look for yourself.... everyone has figured it out..... it simply works.
this dood is a frawd. no idea where he got those pics. i tryed matrox & hav had no luk wit it. marketing skeme 4 shure.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
this dood is a frawd. no idea where he got those pics. i tryed matrox & hav had no luk wit it. marketing skeme 4 shure.
Hahahahaha..... im goin to need you to take some pics tonight, Im feelin the need to bust open a can of whoop azz on some fish! Get your gear ready I'll throw Matrix all night you throw whatever you got. Ill even let you keep score because Ive given up on counting the endless hookups hahahahaha tell Mitch and Nathon to come as well

Attachments

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Matrix Shad has probably caught more red fish in the Pensacola area the past 3 years then any other lure
I'm not so sure about that....it's a great lure but still, when numbers are what I'm looking for, I know of 1 thing that consistently gets them fired up and biting when nothing else will, and catches more reds than you know what to do with :whistling:

·
Master of Disaster
3,043 Posts
There will probably be as many answers for this question, like many other questions asked on this forum, as there are members on this forum. Each angler eventually figures out what works best for them. It takes some trial and error- and effort on the part of the angler. And everyone has their own preferences. Will a Matrix Shad out fish the same color DOA CAL on the same redfish in the same conditions and with identical cast / retrieve teqniques? Can we really say for sure? I'm not- but I encourage any new / novice angler to ask- then try a few different lures, and make their own determination on what "their" go-to redfish lure is. JMHO
It's like a recipe for gumbo- there is no "one" right answer. So, because it's one of the purposes of this forum, and for the sake of comparison- keep the comments and suggestions coming! :)

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,927 Posts
Hahahahaha..... im goin to need you to take some pics tonight, Im feelin the need to bust open a can of whoop azz on some fish! Get your gear ready I'll throw Matrix all night you throw whatever you got. Ill even let you keep score because Ive given up on counting the endless hookups hahahahaha tell Mitch and Nathon to come as well
I have an exam tomorrow though. ;( Ugh, it's so tempting.... Lemme see how much studying I get done today & let you know bro.

Also that "hey you guys" thing is starting to scare me. I saw him in my dream last night I think.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Not sure if I'd assume that everyone fishing in Pensacola posts every fishing trip that they make on the forum.

Your post might be a little more accurate if stated: Matrix Shad gets REPORTED in more redfish POSTS on the PFF than any other lure.

I used a Matrix shad one time when I was in college, just because I needed the money. All I caught was crabs.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,927 Posts
Not sure if I'd assume that everyone fishing in Pensacola posts every fishing trip that they make on the forum.

Your post might be a little more accurate if stated: Matrix Shad gets REPORTED in more redfish POSTS on the PFF than any other lure.
Not sure if I'd go on a helpful, informational thread just to give a captain who has probably caught more redfish in the past month than you've caught in your lifetime a hard time about how he worded one of his comments.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'd say finger mullet and crankbaits. I've caught slot reds on live bait and cut bait. Never seem to catch them on artificial lures. Shrimp, DOAs, spoons, Rapalas, jigs and top water all work.

Honestly I want to try the Matrix shad now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 51 Posts