Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WELL I HAVE A PICTURE BUT I CANT GET TO LOAD IF SOMEONE CAN DO IT I CAN EMAIL IT TO YOU TO LOAD I FOUND THIS PIECE AFTER IVAN AT THE BEACH I'M NOT SURE WHAT IT IS IT LOOKS LIKE A PIECE OF AN OLD WOOD SHIP THANKS

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Toner, here's your pic, sorry for the delay, and then I couldn't remember who it was for. Interesting piece of wood.

Skip

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
UMMM That is a piece of water logged wood....
Couldn't resist being the first snarky reply!

If it has any flat or squared off sections, it may be an old timber of some sort... It could be a timber from a ship, house or barn or an old fence post/corner post or just a log...

Really hard to tell but with the limb piece it is likely pine, if so, that would limit it's original use to "not so likely" a ship item.

I see a "groove" on the facing side in the pic... does that look like a bored hole?

If so, it is likely a man used item...
Brent

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting the picture . The 3 larger pins are hand forged brass and it has a lot of small brass nails in the one side they are hard to see on the pic there is also one large wood pin

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
Brass nails would tell me it's a ship.

There's a few folks at UWF who might be able to tell you better. Don't let them take it, you'll never see it again but shoot them a pic and see what they say.

Nice find, btw.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well that is a cool find then! Brass would be maritime or possibly a utility pole but I would guess it to be ship item...

So are the 2 "stubs" on the left side wood or brass?

Brent

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The two pins sticking out the left side are two of the three brass pins the other one is on the other side if any one knows of a person form UWF that may know more shoot me a PM this thing has been sitting in the garage since Ivan and my wife wants it gone

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you found it underwater on the Gulf Breeze side of the bay, it is most likely from an old sailing ship that was part of the old snapper fleet that used to be in Pensacola. When I was diving a lot (about 35 years ago) we could find all sorts of brass nails and rods from the old sailing ships that were sunk, run aground during a bad hurricane many years ago. I used to remember the dates and the like, but I don't any more.

But I remember that I could find some of the pieces in very shallow water - like 8 to 10 feet. I recall that there was a dock on the gulf breeze side that I could use as a land mark and there was a ship probably 15 yards off the front of it. It was on its side and on good clear days (usually in the winter) you could see about 25/35 feet of it running parallel to the bech sticking about 2 ft out of the ground. There were all kinds of fishing tackle all over it where the folks on the dockmust have snagged it and lost their tackle. It was loaded with brass, but most of the brass was so tight into the wood that I couldn't get it out.

All in all, back then I knew about 8 locations within about a mile over on that side that had ship parts with wood and brass. Some of it was so muddy I couldn't see my hand in front of my mask. Just had to feel around. Kinda spooky. I used to have a pretty good collection of brass pieces I found, but now I only have one.

So that is my bet. But you need to be pretty proud of yourself. I have never seen anyone pull out a piece that big before. Of course back then, nobody knew about preserving history or heritage of those sunken ships. Probably now it wouldn't be a bad idea to get with the UWF archeology folks and let them have a look at it. They may take it though. You gotta decide if that is what you want. They will most likely want to know where you found it as well.

Good luck.

Jim

·
Your mom's a
6,788 Posts
TONER (31/05/2010)The two pins sticking out the left side are two of the three brass pins the other one is on the other side if any one knows of a person form UWF that may know more shoot me a PM this thing has been sitting in the garage since Ivan and my wife wants it gone
If you're pitching it, I'll take it. Where you at?

·
Registered
518 Posts
I wouldnt give UWF any info or a picture. PERIOD!

If its an artifact and it was "washed ashore" then if it was on your property then its yours, if it was in the water its the State of Floridas. If it was found inwater, its illegal to possess! If you give info to UWF or Ms. Bense you will likely lose the item. Even if you found it LEGALLY in your yard washed ashore. It may come up Missing from the curator!

Friend had a awesome effigy pot piece with a vulture or a duck head on the side, had it for over 25 years, found as a kid. UWF wanted to examine it..... HASNT BEEN SEEN SINCE! So those who pride themselves on professionalism cant curate a piece of pottery. Im saying they stuck it in a box in a basement away from you and I to ever see again and when questioned they simply stated it "had been lost."

I wouldnt mention squat!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Chad, that looks exactly like a rib from the Brass Wreck. Rich has a couple of brass pins just like thosehe recovered from the Brass Wreck and MBT has a couple. I wouldn't give them away. They not extrememly old but are stillvaluable to some folks as collectables.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK now I really don't know what to do with it if it is a piece of an old ship I would love to see it in a maritime museum. but how would you find out how much something like this would be worth ?

·
Super Moderator
29,280 Posts
That's a cool find.....I'd just stick it in a corner at the house fer a conversation piece (ifin it's too big to hang on the wall)!!!

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
That would look cool hangin from the wall, with ared snapper and a gag groupermount swimming around it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If anyone is interisted in seeing this piece it is at MBT I gave it to them to display in there mini museum

1 - 15 of 15 Posts