Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a family of deer (well a couple does and a couple fawns I don't think he's ever seen a buck) that visits his rose bushes and eats everything green (he's now gonna try an electric fence) a few times a week. He lives on a cul-de-sac that butts up to a large privately owned area on Perdido Bay. Near Tarklin Bayou

Wondering if the deer wander far, or stay in the "neighborhood"

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My buddy has a family of deer (well a couple does and a couple fawns I don't think he's ever seen a buck) that visits his rose bushes and eats everything green (he's now gonna try an electric fence) a few times a week. He lives on a cul-de-sac that butts up to a large privately owned area on Perdido Bay. Near Tarklin Bayou

Wondering if the deer wander far, or stay in the "neighborhood"

JIm

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,433 Posts
They will not travel to far from an easy food and water source. Path of easiest resistance is my personal opinion .
Now I feel it's a different story for a mature buck following the sweet scent. He could travel miles every hour in his search

·
Registered
944 Posts
Not sure how far they travel but he might want to try this possible alternative.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7405599_deter-deer-irish-spring-soap.html

I visited Jefferson National Cemetery last year and they have a large heard of nearly tame deer on the grounds that eat everything. They hang bars of Irish Spring soap from the small trees and around shrubs to keep the deer from eating them. The Grounds Foreman said it worked pretty well.

http://www.stltoday.com/gallery/new...n_ae2cc51e-f441-56de-8d8a-78bdeac76ecb.html#2

The deer eat the grave flowers right after they are laid down.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Universities have done studies putting radio collars on deer in research studies. The core areas are generally about one square mile but bucks will travel up to 5 miles to search for a hot doe.
If they are comfortable, with water, food sources and poontang nearby, they will stay pretty close.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
According to my buddy, the "Irish Spring" thing worked for a couple weeks, then not at all.

He's tried motion sound devices, sprinkler turning on with motion, so far the deer win. Even if he walks outdoors about 50' away the deer are okay, till he scares them away.

Jim

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it's an "older neighborhood" Most neighbors think they're cute.

My buddy puts up with them.

I won't say he'd like to seem them gone, but...

Jim

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I would be glad to introduce your buddies deer to Mr. Mathews.

I'm just a pm away....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can't fish but I know deer;)

Yeah. Typically a mile. But within that mile if there is no pressure and a food source there would be no reason to leave. Would you?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Get a good, rifled barreled Airsoft gun. They're made for people to shoot each other so no one should mind him shooting the deer. They'll hopefully learn that it's uncomfortable to eat from his yard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts