Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have built my own rods, and every now and again I will build one for very close friends. I am finishing one up right now and I met a friend this morning to get a tip guide. As we talked about the rod he asked what kind of reel was I going to put on it, and I told him, and we had a really neat confersation about the quality of sporting goods we choose, when it comes to fishing tackle and hunting supplies. Neither of us are wealthy people, but both of us agreed that we can justify Finest Quality we can save up forin both fishing and hunting equiptment, and if something cost more than we had that both of us would choose to keep on saving and do without until we could get what we wanted. I have not always felt this way, and I have bought many reels that I was not satified with and later wished I would have saved more and waited to get what I really would have liked to have, and that is what I do now, and my friend admitted doing as well. The added pleasure I get from fishing with high quality tackle adds value to my experience, and that goes for hunting equiptment as well. Using gear that you have no doubt about and is a pleasure to use holds quite a value to me, and I have the tedancey to look at the cost as broken down by the number of cast that I will make with a great reel is only pennies per cast and I enjoy each cast well more than the cost when it is looked at that way. Some things may not be the most expensive of their kind either, for example an Islander fly reel is not by far the most expensive fly reel, but it is of very high quality, and the outgoing drag is a sound no other reel will ever be able to make, I love that reel. I have wondered about how other people felt about this topic before and I have never had a conversation about it until this morning.

How do you guys think about the level of Quality vs. Value in your fishing and hunting stuff?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Speaking only of the products I've owned, I'd say <U>Shimano</U> is the best. Others that I've owned are: Okuma, Daiwa, Shakespear, Mitchell & Penn. The only brands I take with me are Shimano, Penn & Key Largo rods. I do appreciate those companies for making great products at affordable prices.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My point exactly.

Don't you enjoy fishing more with better quality tackle? I gotta think most people think this way, and would rather do without instead of buying something that will not perform at the highest level possible. Years ago I was in a department store that had a large table of reels on clearance, and I thought what a deal, and bought several. I eventually sold them in a garage (garbage) sale, and wished I would have never bought 1 of them. They were spinning reels and mostly plastic, terrible drag, and pretty much junk. I have learned better since then.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
It's funny that you bring this up b/c I used to be one of those guys that thought....."the fish doesn't care what kind of reel it is" and getting 2 years out of a reel was good. Now that I've bought some of the higher end reels (keep in mind higher end to me is only70-100 bucks for a reel) I know better! I use Penn and now shimano and couldn't be happier. My choice in gear went up when the amount of time i fished went up. That shakespear was great for me when i fished 5 times a year, but now that i fish 2-3 times a week......I'm glad I moved up.

To think, it all started on a shakespear durango......ha!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have always been one to wait and buy what I want instead of compromising. I buy EXACTLY what I want and it is the best I can find for what I can afford. I would rather save for a set of custom rods than buy off the rack stuff that isn't up to the task. I figure if I buy the best now, I won't have to replace it later.

I'd rather save the money and buy a used 3 or 4 year old vehicle every few years than scrimp on tackle.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xanadu (11/19/2007)I have always been one to wait and buy what I want instead of compromising. I buy EXACTLY what I want and it is the best I can find for what I can afford. I would rather save for a set of custom rods than buy off the rack stuff that isn't up to the task. I figure if I buy the best now, I won't have to replace it later.

I'd rather save the money and buy a used 3 or 4 year old vehicle every few years than scrimp on tackle.
Hal, is this the first time you and I have agreed on something?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
GREAT point hal! it doesnt take much to save a bunch when car shopping (or even going out to eat) and it doesnt take much to save up for what you really wanted to fish with when you compare it to the dollars youre spending on a car that will lose about 80% of its value in just a few years, or food.. we know what that turns into the next day.

i like how garbo put it... the most expensive reel (if used often) is only going to cost you a few cents per cast. NOT BAD!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I really agree with Garbo on this subject and try my best to figure out superior quality. Cost is not the determining factor most of the time, but can be an indicator. I think I hate buyers remorse more than most people and the older I get the harder I look at things I buy. Items I used to buy on an impulse don't get bought near as often after I compare quality...I'd much rather save up my money and buy what I feel best about. When I don't, it usually bites me in the butt one way or another. I love the comment about the drag...ever had a really big fish on and in your heart you know the drags not up to the task? If I'd just bought the reel I wanted in the first place...

Frank

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
I would rather pay a little more and get quality. The old addage is true here also. You get what you pay for. If you don't want trouble with your hunting and fishimg tackle, pay a little more and get a lot more. ( satisfaction and reliability ) that is

1 - 9 of 9 Posts