Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yes individuals were putting out reefs back then, but not doing it in a way that would cover the area that they have now and to atract the number of fish we have in the area now..

·
Registered
490 Posts
REEL FEISTY (11/1/2009)That is why I agreed with Will on Red snapper being a trash fish. Was then and always will be in my book. A lot of fish that we catch now were trash fish back then because there were so many fish. You had to go to destin fishing rocks to catch snapper back then. The bottom off Pensacola at that time was slick sand. Alabama started a reef program in the early 80's that made it the red snapper capital of the nation and they have kept with it. What happened to Florida? Some of the things I see on the menu at high end restaurants nowwere trash fish when I grew up. I swam and skied In bayou TEXAR back then also? Caught bass under the 12th ave. bridge. Things have changed over 50 years, now the goverment tells you how many fish you can catch, but does not tell you how many you can catch and kill? I am just rambiling about my past growing up in Pensacola and seeing the changes that have happened. I was a PIER RAT and can prove it in 1964. But moved up to other things. I grew up in cordova park from 1959 Till I got shipped off to Birmingham in 1968 but still fished with all my buddies till present. I remember renting a boat and buying bait at the oyster barn.

Only one thing -reel feisty

The reef program started in-earnest "permitting" in the 80's the fishermen started building reefs IN LIKE THE LATE 50's early 60's maybe even early 50's not positive on the date BUT I know it was long before the eighty's.

GOOD POST THOUGH

I am adding edit to play with the time glitch I am editing before I posted this it is 1;28

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
enviro1 (11/1/2009)I don't get the deal either. Why would someone pay a hundred thousand dolllars for a boat and thenthousands of dollars in gear and tackle just to put a hook in a fishes mouth and reel it in. That's sad. As far as the red snapper goes, I agree with Desperado the goverment wouldn't be stepping in if there wasn't a real problem.

Peter Tang

There you go Will, our latest enviro natzi troll agrees with you.

P.S. enviro1, go milk a cat or something and leave the adults alone.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts