Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will never understand the controversy and effort that goes into IMO the biggest trash fish in the GULF.Getting Tags,and all the effort I have to know why?By time you clean a 10 lb snapper its barely enough meat to make a turd,theres so much better stuff out there.Ill take 4 triggerfish over 10 snapper any day.I just dont get it.Who created this Snapper craze?was it the tourist>?the charter industry?i got to know what it is that turns people on so much about a red snapper

I know some people are fighting over them and they have there reasons but i just dont get it. ?i got to know what it is that turns people on so much about a red snapper

Fresh Mahi or Grouper or wahoo will blow snapper off the dinner table any day and there so easy to catch.You can keep 10 Dolphin and they bpractically jump in the boat.Its like all along the Gulf people have created this snapper craze ill never understand

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
why do you care??? you dont waste your time bottom fishing remember? your blue water or bust....now they are purposing putting tags on snapper and you cant understand it, but will gladly pay for you HMS permit to keep a couple of fish after burning hundreds of dollars in fuel...by the time you get your HMS permit, fuel up the boat and go catch your couple of wahoo/blackfin/yellowfin/dolphin and come back and refuel the boat you have lost money...whats the craze about that? how would you like it if they took away your limits of hoos/tuna/phins and gave them to the commerical and or charter boats?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Well if I had a 35 Bertram I'd probably fell the same way. I just mean you need to eliminate wahoo, dolphin, etc from your list, and consider plentiful nearshore good tasting fish. But yes I agree RS is getting way more credit than they deserve.

But the RS tag program will become a AJ and grouper tag program, or NMFS will tell us we can't fish for them either except 1 or 2 weeks per year. Then I guess I'll need that Bertram. :banghead

·
Registered
387 Posts
will,u r drinking again.i have no problem with your view point but they will come after your fish next.i cant type for crap when im drinking either,no hard feelings implieeeeeeeed.people want snapper and the commercials are allowed so much more than a rec guy.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reeltime (10/31/2009)Well if I had a 35 Bertram I'd probably fell the same way. I just mean you need to eliminate wahoo, dolphin, etc from your list, and consider plentiful nearshore good tasting fish. But yes I agree RS is getting way more credit than they deserve.

But the RS tag program will become a AJ and grouper tag program, or NMFS will tell us we can't fish for them either except 1 or 2 weeks per year. Then I guess I'll need that Bertram. :banghead
If it comes to any of that ill just buy the stuff from joe patty.Some people cant grasp the fact the world is shrinking with population,everyone and there daddy has a boat with latest high end electronics.People think we can maintain the limits we had 20 years ago and seem to forget we all have a quota.You would have to spend 3 days in the Gulf to limit on everything they allow you to have and it would take you 2 months to eat it if you ate fish 24/7.

I know some of the laws suck but its the way that it is.

·
Registered
387 Posts
i agree with u on a lot,when am i gonna get the chance to check out those numbers u found on that boat.plus i know u can build a rod and i know what i want but cant find it.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fisheye48 (10/31/2009)why do you care??? you dont waste your time bottom fishing remember? your blue water or bust....now they are purposing putting tags on snapper and you cant understand it, but will gladly pay for you HMS permit to keep a couple of fish after burning hundreds of dollars in fuel...by the time you get your HMS permit, fuel up the boat and go catch your couple of wahoo/blackfin/yellowfin/dolphin and come back and refuel the boat you have lost money...whats the craze about that? how would you like it if they took away your limits of hoos/tuna/phins and gave them to the commerical and or charter boats?
HMS permit is a once a year 22 dollar fee.Typically on every trip you always lose money.You never fish for the meat its just a perk.No way your ever gonna break even with a days catch.You cant freeze that much fish anyway.

·
Registered
363 Posts
-=Desperado=- (10/31/2009)

I know some of the laws suck but its the way that it is.

yep, your right that some folks are getting a little to worked up. but i cant quite go for playing dead when i cant keep fish just cause some gov't suit wont do his job.

funny though, you seem a little up tight about the folks that dont want stick their head in the sand with you. :poke

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
fisheye48 (10/31/2009)why do you care??? you dont waste your time bottom fishing remember? your blue water or bust....now they are purposing putting tags on snapper and you cant understand it, but will gladly pay for you HMS permit to keep a couple of fish after burning hundreds of dollars in fuel...by the time you get your HMS permit, fuel up the boat and go catch your couple of wahoo/blackfin/yellowfin/dolphin and come back and refuel the boat you have lost money...whats the craze about that? how would you like it if they took away your limits of hoos/tuna/phins and gave them to the commerical and or charter boats?
HMS permit is a once a year 22 dollar fee.Typically on every trip you always lose money.You never fish for the meat its just a perk.No way your ever gonna break even with a days catch.You cant freeze that much fish anyway.

ok let me get this straight...you will pay for your HMS tag but cant understand why they wanna do it on snapper?

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fisheye48 (10/31/2009)

ok let me get this straight...you will pay for your HMS tag but cant understand why they wanna do it on snapper?
they want us to buy a tag for each fish.Its not that serious to me.ill pay the 22 for the hms but its a federal reg for migratory species tuna,swords,billfish .never agreed or disagreed with the process i just think there an over rated baitfish and it would not hurt my feelings either way.to each there own i guess.If it wasnt for this phantom craze on them they would be in the same class with mingos and white trout IMO

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Once again...why are you even worried about this and spew your ignorant rants when you dont bottom fish, looks like you need to stay out of ole eugenes kool-aid becasue the effects aer starting to show....good luck with the hoos and billfish next year...cant wait to see all those reports about all the ones you catch...

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
fisheye48 (10/31/2009)Once again...why are you even worried about this and spew your ignorant rants when you dont bottom fish, looks like you need to stay out of ole eugenes kool-aid becasue the effects aer starting to show....good luck with the hoos and billfish next year...cant wait to see all those reports about all the ones you catch...
with all due repect, HE does have the same right to speak about the regs as any bottom fisherman......just as any other United States citizen (sp)

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
fisheye48 (10/31/2009)Once again...why are you even worried about this and spew your ignorant rants when you dont bottom fish, looks like you need to stay out of ole eugenes kool-aid becasue the effects aer starting to show....good luck with the hoos and billfish next year...cant wait to see all those reports about all the ones you catch...

If i report 2 out of 15 trips why do i need to report next year?why do i need to report anything to anyone?dont look forward to it i kepp 99 percent of my trips to myself.I might throw a pic or 2 out there to give my abundant haters something to squabble about.good luck on the fight for the red snapper.i doubt much of anything will be different.guess it doesnt hurt to try.i asked because i was curious.

·
Registered
294 Posts
-=Desperado=- (10/31/2009)I will never understand the controversy and effort that goes into IMO the biggest trash fish in the GULF.Getting Tags,and all the effort I have to know why?By time you clean a 10 lb snapper its barely enough meat to make a turd,theres so much better stuff out there.Ill take 4 triggerfish over 10 snapper any day.I just dont get it.Who created this Snapper craze?was it the tourist>?the charter industry?i got to know what it is that turns people on so much about a red snapper

I know some people are fighting over them and they have there reasons but i just dont get it. ?i got to know what it is that turns people on so much about a red snapper

Fresh Mahi or Grouper or wahoo will blow snapper off the dinner table any day and there so easy to catch.You can keep 10 Dolphin and they bpractically jump in the boat.Its like all along the Gulf people have created this snapper craze ill never understand
I think I can answer. Your question. Talking just about snapper. I'm a chef and ill tell you from a cullinary stand point red snapper Is one of the worst of all snapper. The craze was started BY the fishermen and chefs because of the size makes it easly presentabele to Americans. All the smaller snapper are Far better to eat. It all boils down to the Size which equals money. This has led to over fhishing. I never target red snapper. I always targets the smaller species Wich are a lot better to eat if you do not mind eating smaller fish Wich are prepared whole. A lot of Americans don't like to eat whole fish.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
chefpomp (10/31/2009)
-=Desperado=- (10/31/2009)I will never understand the controversy and effort that goes into IMO the biggest trash fish in the GULF.Getting Tags,and all the effort I have to know why?By time you clean a 10 lb snapper its barely enough meat to make a turd,theres so much better stuff out there.Ill take 4 triggerfish over 10 snapper any day.I just dont get it.Who created this Snapper craze?was it the tourist>?the charter industry?i got to know what it is that turns people on so much about a red snapper

I think I can answer. Your question. Talking just about snapper. I'm a chef and ill tell you from a cullinary stand point red snapper Is one of the worst of all snapper. The craze was started BY the fishermen and chefs because of the size makes it easly presentabele to Americans. All the smaller snapper are Far better to eat. It all boils down to the Size which equals money. This has led to over fhishing. I never target red snapper. I always targets the smaller species Wich are a lot better to eat if you do not mind eating smaller fish Wich are prepared whole. A lot of Americans don't like to eat whole fish.

I agree! I would rather have mingos on the table!!!!!! Red Snappers (especially at the size limits put on them) make them poor table fair!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Nothin better than a whole Roasted mingo. I have found that a lot of fish that was considerd to be trash fish was because they are difficult to clean example trigger and sheephead.

·
Super Moderator
19,477 Posts
Its not theissue of the species of fish, its the princible that the government is trying to control a non issue. Everyone that steps foot on a boat knows snapper are everywhere, the data the gov. is using is not accurate. We all know you dont care for snapper Willand would rather troll the beach for kings and bobos and Im not a big snapper fan either but if you let the gov. regulate the snapper when its not an issue guess what, they then are going to start AJ....oh yeah already did, then grouper...seeing a pattern here. Guess what, the gov is doing what they want, next it will be wahoo, dolphin, tuna, etc. If you stand down and let them take one species they will take another and another. So its in everyones best interest to stand together and face them as one instead of only facing them when its something you fish for. Its kinda like people only standing up for one type of hunting, the anti's are doing everything in their power to stop hunting, if you dont stand up for other type of hunting they will close them down. After they close them down they are going to the next step and guess what thats you, if you stand together you will be stronger. So everyone knows WILL MILLS does not like to snapper fish, ok its out your manhood is protected, but whywould you help the gov by not standing up for FISHING RIGHTS in general cause if you dont they will close something you fish for next.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
In case everyone missedit, the "SOS plan" or sector seperation plan as forwarded by the Gulf Council for further consideration now includes all gulf fish managed by NMFS that are assigneda Total Allowable Catch.

Trigger, vermillion, grouper, and the redsnapper.

Mark W

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Splittine (10/31/2009)Its not theissue of the species of fish, its the princible that the government is trying to control a non issue. Everyone that steps foot on a boat knows snapper are everywhere, the data the gov. is using is not accurate. We all know you dont care for snapper Willand would rather troll the beach for kings and bobos and Im not a big snapper fan either but if you let the gov. regulate the snapper when its not an issue guess what, they then are going to start AJ....oh yeah already did, then grouper...seeing a pattern here. Guess what, the gov is doing what they want, next it will be wahoo, dolphin, tuna, etc. If you stand down and let them take one species they will take another and another. So its in everyones best interest to stand together and face them as one instead of only facing them when its something you fish for. Its kinda like people only standing up for one type of hunting, the anti's are doing everything in their power to stop hunting, if you dont stand up for other type of hunting they will close them down. After they close them down they are going to the next step and guess what thats you, if you stand together you will be stronger. So everyone knows WILL MILLS does not like to snapper fish, ok its out your manhood is protected, but whywould you help the gov by not standing up for FISHING RIGHTS in general cause if you dont they will close something you fish for next.
Good Point. Same as with guns. I for one doesn't see where any regular citizen NEEDS a automatic/assult rifle but I be damned if I want to see congress take that away. They started with that 1st because they thought it would be easy, well it wasn't.

I stand behind all the gun rights. Same as for fish, Snapper, swordsor tuna.

I know it's two different things but the same on principle.

I for one like red snapper. Also don't buy into what was posted about the resturant business. What's the difference in a SNAPPER and a FLOUNDER or TUNA (The most popular fish most likely sold in a resturant besides when they lie to you about what it is, Say SWAI or Talapia)

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
There is no size or bag limit on dolphin.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts