Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Within the last year or so, all registration has almost doubled, tobacco has DOUBLED, sure seems like everything is going up. Is our great, awesome, elected gov. Chris the reason for this? I have a friend that lives in Georgia and he comes to Florida once a month, he now picks my Skoal smokeless tobacco up for me. IT IS $3.00 a can there. IT IS $6.99 a can in Pensacola, if i go to Sam's and fight with that bs of being there for an hour to get a couple logs it comes to $5.25 to $5.50 a can. HOW IN THE HELL IS THE PRICE IN FLORIDA DOUBLE?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Nope not just his doing...
All registrations and Driver's Lic. fees EXACTLY doubled...
A $1.00 per pack tax was added to ciggs. but not them ghetto "little cigars" which are a flavored cigarette.

It was due to an upside down budget caused mostly by a reduction of tourism dollars which has supported Fl. budgeting for many decades.

They decided this was the only option aside from the state income tax which would infuriate ALL working floridians and stagnate new business growth.

Brent

·
Registered
935 Posts
It is not just the taxes that tourism generates. The property values have reduced and also the lack of sales have reduced the doc. stamp revenues..

I'm not a fan of Crist, but any governor would have found himself in a no win situation recently...

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Looks like property tax revenues are going to take a hit too. I sort of agree w/the high taxes on tobacco. The related health careexpenses cost the state BIG bucks! I know several people who have quit (at least in part) because of the increases, and they stand a better chancefor a long healthy life.....a good thing! The bottom line is the state is in tough financial state. Apart of it has to do with those cushy state pensions! Many states are in the same boat.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The healthcare costs are lower than most realize... The hospital must provide emergency care to all... not the state... the hospital has to eat that...

The only folks who get free health care for smoking related sickness are those who qualify for medicaid type care... I do not.

And the dollar per pack is going towards the budget deficit, not healthcare...

At least that is what we were told when it was passed.

Brent

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
hogdogs (17/06/2010)The healthcare costs are lower than most realize... The hospital must provide emergency care to all... not the state... the hospital has to eat that...

The only folks who get free health care for smoking related sickness are those who qualify for medicaid type care... I do not.

And the dollar per pack is going towards the budget deficit, not healthcare...

At least that is what we were told when it was passed.

Brent
OK, I'll assume that's true, I'm no expert. But isn't a hospital required by law to treat anyone that walks in the ER? I couldn't even guess at the #, but doesn't that raise everyone's health care costs???? Anyway, anything that can be done to discourage tobacco use is good in IMO. I've seen too many people die from it.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
So, the red state raises your taxes to cover budget deficits and it's ok because Florida is strapped but Obama wanting to do the same thing for the same reasons but on a larger scale and it's a sin? Ok, now I understand perfectly.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
FP, The hospital must only stabilize you so you can leave... not provide all the care...

And as for taxing due to health risk, I am 100% against that...
Tax skil saws, scissors, knives, chainsaws, ladders, boats, fish hooks and everything else that people hurt themselves with and seek healthcare while uninsured...

WW, I never said we liked it and I certainly do not... but as for your brown hero, the difference is our governor didn't massively bleed us with spending them try to buy his ass out of it with further excessive taxation...

Having been raised poor and continue to live poor, I learned real young that it is never a possibility or a realistic thought that you can spend your way out of poverty! This country was broke poor before he got in office and now look at how we stand financially!

Brent

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Too bad the correct answer for both of them would be to reduce spending. If your income drops you should cut things that are unnecessary or things that you can no longer afford. The fact that Obama spent himself into a massive hole does not make the tax increases in FL more OK. And if Crist were a Dem you'd be going off the deep end.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I looked hard at what a regular redneck can figure out and see very little wasteful spending in Fla nor much that could be cut without adverse affects that would not cause further income loss to the coffers... Unlike many states, florida won't close rest areas and state parks as they realize the negative affects...

So what else should they cut from?

And Crist only signed what was put before him by a mix of dems and repubs... He is a liar and I am not voting for him for that, as one, reason and am still voting out any incumbent I can!

Your Brown hero got the power to pass anything he wants with the full unstoppable majority of boot licking spineless dems in both house and senate and he tells them what to do and signs it...

Crist didn't do that either... so you are still wrong and you don't know how I feel nor do you know my voting record!

And had Colin Powell had been on the Dem ticket instead of goofy head, I would have voted for him over McCain in a heartbeat!!! Them we would have had an HONEST BLACK president!

Not to mention, he don't put party politics above civil service for the people!

Brent

·
Registered
56 Posts
How can anyone say there is no waste in Florida government spending? Spend some time watching our state and local governments in action. Watch closely and see where some of the money is spent. It will make you sick. After Ivan, people here in the panhandle and down south were crushed and our Florida congress spent hours debating whether to spend millions to build a new sports stadium. The tobacco tax was passed to assist with healthcare costs, especially centered around children. If anyone is in doubt about less government and lower taxes leads to more jobs and more tax revenue, have a look at Houston. I am a smoker and don't have a problem with the increase tax if it's used for what it was promised for. Do yourself a favor, watch our congress (both Florida's and Federal) in action and see if you still feel confident that they are doing what we elected them for. Neither Christ or Obama can spend a dime unless congress puts it on paper.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WW2 (17/06/2010)Too bad the correct answer for both of them would be to reduce spending. If your income drops you should cut things that are unnecessary or things that you can no longer afford. The fact that Obama spent himself into a massive hole does not make the tax increases in FL more OK. And if Crist were a Dem you'd be going off the deep end.
Crist isnt a Dem and IM still GOING OFF THE DEEP END. This dude is a joke. How come Ala and La are both getting money from bp and getting tractors and things to clean the beaches and waterbut Fl gets denied? Why did Al get 15 million dollars for advertisments to get tourist to come to their state but Fl got 1.4 million. HE'S LOST.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
hogdogs (17/06/2010)I looked hard at what a regular redneck can figure out and see very little wasteful spending in Fla nor much that could be cut without adverse affects that would not cause further income loss to the coffers... Unlike many states, florida won't close rest areas and state parks as they realize the negative affects...

So what else should they cut from?

And Crist only signed what was put before him by a mix of dems and repubs... He is a liar and I am not voting for him for that, as one, reason and am still voting out any incumbent I can!

Your Brown hero got the power to pass anything he wants with the full unstoppable majority of boot licking spineless dems in both house and senate and he tells them what to do and signs it...

Crist didn't do that either... so you are still wrong and you don't know how I feel nor do you know my voting record!

And had Colin Powell had been on the Dem ticket instead of goofy head, I would have voted for him over McCain in a heartbeat!!! Them we would have had an HONEST BLACK president!

Not to mention, he don't put party politics above civil service for the people!

Brent
No wasteful spending in Florida. Gotcha. Good talk.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Well, I did ask what could be cut to reduce spending with out hurting the future economy. i also admitted I do not know how to really interpret a state budget nor how to look it all up neither.
Brent

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
hogdogs (18/06/2010)Well, I did ask what could be cut to reduce spending with out hurting the future economy. i also admitted I do not know how to really interpret a state budget nor how to look it all up neither.
Brent
How about cutting the number of people involved in handing out welfare? If they are on welfare they have time to wait in longer lines....

That was easy.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
There in lies a possible crux in the system... Lay them off in a stagnant hiring period and they then need the welfare and unemployment and will need to make the, now, longer lines even longer...
Damned if we do, damned if we don't on that concept... oh yeah, they are also drawing more funds from the teat of the state coffers...

Brent

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WW2 (18/06/2010)
hogdogs (18/06/2010)Well, I did ask what could be cut to reduce spending with out hurting the future economy. i also admitted I do not know how to really interpret a state budget nor how to look it all up neither.
Brent
How about cutting the number of people involved in handing out welfare? If they are on welfare they have time to wait in longer lines....

That was easy.

The hell with cutting, How bout drug test every person on welfare and foodstamps. FAIL you are out and can never apply again. THAT WILL SAVE ALOT OF MONEY...

·
Registered
387 Posts
45 dollars per simple drug test,add it up.some of u guys crack me up.welfare is a an abused system but thank both parties involved.and that is a drop in the bucket for pork projects so no biggie.wasnt the lottery supposed to pay fort the edjumacation,haha?i worked for the company that does all the lotteries,its fun stuff,google it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I voted for Crist. Wish I hadnt now. I realize that some of this is out of his control but when he recently went on Fox News he made a fool of himself saying he never raised taxes. Maybe not, but the "Fee" increase really kicked us when we were down. Its amazing how they wait till one of our worst times in our economic history to double all the tag fees and license fees. Another beef I have with Charlie is that he didnt wait long as governor before he started wanted to move up to the senate. How about serving the good people of Florida for a few years and keeping some of those campaign promises before you start looking for something better. All these guys think about how they can make things better for themselves. My vote was for the wrong guy. I will try my best not to make the same mistake twice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts