Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm possibly looking in to going on a hunt next year to illinois or wisconsin and i know that you have to hunt with a shotgun there.what is a decent slug gun that has a decent price,say no more than $500.any suggestions would be appreciated.thanks

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Remington Auto with a slug barrel. My brother drives tacks at 120 yards with his.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
i bought a H&R slug gun about a month ago. i love it! its $229 a mikes. i havent ever shot another slug gun to compare it to but its nice for hunting around here..

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
ScullsMcNasty (12/25/2008)i bought a H&R slug gun about a month ago. i love it! its $229 a mikes. i havent ever shot another slug gun to compare it to but its nice for hunting around here..

the 20 gauge in this is the only way to go!!!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
A lot of those States are now allowing Muzzleloaders in addition to slug guns. Modern muzzleloaders can reach out there up to 200-250 yards. Might be worth checking into.

Ed

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
i have read all the reviews on the sabot slugs on cabelas and the hornady sst is suppose to shoot slugs accurately over 200yrds.. but yet they dont have the knockdown power of some of the other types of shells. so if you want to reach out and touch them in the midwest use the hornady shells but if you are tryin to use it in a alabama creek bottom, buy some remington accutips and make em drop in their tracks

·
Registered
344 Posts
I shoot 870 - change out choke tube to rifle or mod (slugs)... mod for buckshot & general shot... full for turkey..........shoots good for me. Use aB-Square scope mount for scope.

·
Registered
306 Posts
fromthedepths (12/25/2008)i'm possibly looking in to going on a hunt next year to illinois or wisconsin and i know that you have to hunt with a shotgun there.what is a decent slug gun that has a decent price,say no more than $500.any suggestions would be appreciated.thanks
I shoot a Remington 870 with the Full Rifled Heavy Barrell with the Cantilevered Scope mount and a 3x9 Leoupold VariX-III. It is hard to beat with Reminton Copper Solid Sabots Or the Hornady SST Balistic tips. A whole different world from the choke tube barrell. With the SST's I can shoot under a 3" group at 100 yards(factory claims under 2"). From a sitting postion using my tree stand as a rest I canput five rounds in a pie plate at 150 yards.I have not shot the remington ballistic tips yet but they say they are even better out past 150yards.

I have two barrels and swap out the barrel(26" VR)on the same gun for ducks and bird and plan on getting a third turkey barrell one day.

·
Registered
306 Posts
PensacolaEd (12/25/2008)A lot of those States are now allowing Muzzleloaders in addition to slug guns. Modern muzzleloaders can reach out there up to 200-250 yards. Might be worth checking into.Ed
Ed,

A slug gun with fully rifled barrel and shooting Hornady SST's or Remington ballistic tips is easily capable of accurate groups at 200+ yards. In fact both of these rounds use sabots that are basically the same as the muzzle loaders and IMO would be more accurate in addition to providingrepeat fire capability.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
If you happen to already have a shotgun the cheapest and best route is to just buy a barrel for it. I bought a 20" FULLY RIFLED barrel for my Remington 870 and it is absolutely deadly with Lightfield Hybreds. I am completely confident with it out to 100 yards. You can also rest assure that you will never have to track one with the Lightfields. I haven't had one to leave his tracks yet. I have even hit a couple center mass and they didn't even quiver. This is what 565 grains of lead will do. Just be ready for the recoil, it isn't for the faint hearted. If you aren't careful mine will get meat on both ends!!! :doh

·
Registered
638 Posts
delta dooler (12/26/2008)
big buck dan (12/25/2008)if your intrested in a muzzel loader i have a tc omega for sale with a doctor scope camo stock on stainless barrel any one intrested
wow ! what a derail !
derail he snot even selling anything i was offering to him look for something else to wine about

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,784 Posts
big buck dan (12/27/2008)
delta dooler (12/26/2008)
big buck dan (12/25/2008)if your intrested in a muzzel loader i have a tc omega for sale with a doctor scope camo stock on stainless barrel any one intrested
wow ! what a derail !
derail he snot even selling anything i was offering to him look for something else to wine about

you offered a muzzleloader for sale to anyone interested .................... DERAIL !

oh, and while I'm at it , its WHINE, not wine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts