Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. This might be a stupid question but, Iwas just givena US Reel 240 SX as a gift and was thinkingabout putting 20 pound backing mono attached to the 12 pound Stren. What is the best knot to use to attach those two different pound test??? I normally use a Curado Bantam baitcaster and am kinda new to the inshore spinning reels. Thanks in advance. T

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
I guess I am not understanding why you would use two different sized mono's. But use uni to uni

·
Registered
516 Posts
I think its called the no-name knot. You make "U" with the larger dia line smaller goes through and wraps up the "U" 8 times and back out of the "U" the same way you came in. Unit to Uni is a little big and can get hung up on the guides. This is the same knot I use for Braid to Mono. You must make sure the seats nice and smooth so as not to crease or cut the larger line.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
licketeysplit I believe you are talking about the albright knot.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. The reasoning behind this is this particular reel will hold 254 yards of 12 pound test, (013). That's a lot of more expensive line (probably 60% or more) that will never be used (especially in my case, lololol) for a inshore set up. I have always heard that backing a reel like this with cheaper heavier test is a better way to go especially with new line changes.... My only other concern would be an attempted spooling (maybe a big Red) and have the knot hang up on a guide and pop off...... Thanks again for the help. T

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
In this particular situation I would avoid the knot I'm famous for using. The Might Knot. It Might hold it Might knot. Sorry, that was dumb.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
as you can see, there are several different ones you can use.

my personal opinion is the blood knot is the best for the situation you are talking about. when tied correctly, the blood knot has a taper on each end. I'm not as proficient with it and it takes a bit longer for me to tie.

as I said before, I use the uni to uni. the reason I use the uni-uni is that I can tie it extremely fast when working a deck in bouncing seas as opposed to the albright or blood. this year, we've caught tons of kings, wahoo up to 70# andwhite marlin using using the uni-uni to connect 25# mainline and 9' of 30# flouro leader. that's not the same as the situation your talking about when connecting backing. I do use the same knot when attaching braid to flouro though.

you really need to play with all the knots mentioned, look at the knot breaking strengths and figure out which one will work best for you.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
The albright and no-name are two different knots. With an albright you pass through the bend of the heavier line and wrap back towards where you entered and with the no name you pass through and wrap up like a clinch and pass back through. Same principle, different direction. I like the albright but it is a little bulkier. I have to agree that the blood is probably going to be yourslimmest connection. I don't think you are going to need anything heavier duty for 12 pound.

Just out of curiosity, Why don't you just fill it with 12 pound?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I thought those us reels came with a "ring" (don't know the exact term used) to put on the spool so that you don't have to use as much line.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts