Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Jaguarundi - saw one just east of Brewton while turkey hunting couple years back in the old Beaver Creek Hunting Club

·
Registered
161 Posts
When i was a kid Grandfather was a priviet game warden for a hunting club. Spent all summer in the woods with him shining fields. Was two big cats on one field from time to time. It has been 25 years ,but looks like the panthers we saw back then.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
foxes have HUGE ears and whenthey are hairless they appear even bigger.. i have seen a hairless fox too and thats def not him. there was a hairless fox that ive seen numerous times on NAS and ive been within 10 feet of it.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
whalersailor (10/6/2008)There is at least one Jaguarundi on NAS Pensacola. At least there was a few years ago. The cat was seen killing an injured pelican and a somewhat tame Blue Heron at Sherman Cove Marina during a long cold spell in 2002/03. The base game warden identified it immediately from a verbal description and knew about its existence.

Couple of interesting things: They were introduced to Florida by people desiring exotic pets. They are adept swimmers, with fish being their primary food where available.
i saw a big fox squirrel last year inside the perimeter fence on NAS. that was the first time ive ever seen one. really cool

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is a jaguarundi. They used to be found in the southern U.S. but now are found mostly in Mexico, Central and South America. We have sighted one on my lease in Alabama years ago.

here's a link.

http://www.indiantiger.org/wild-cats/jaguarundi.html

Presence on the planet: The jaguarundi is native to Central America and the northern and central countries of South America down to Argentina - it is also rarely sighted in parts of Texas and New Mexico in the southern United States. A number of jaguarundi are also to be found in Florida, although these are descendants of a small population introduced to the area in the 1940?s.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts