Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new laptop and it came with 6 months free antivirus, spyware, ect.. What brand is the best out there? What do most of you use? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
McAfee Virus Scan and Firewall 2010 version. My brother also tipped me onto toa product called Spybot which prevents things like Spyware from getting past your Antivirus software.

·
Banned
257 Posts
I have tried McAfee, Norton, Cox's version of McAfee, and AVG and all of them sooner or later brought my machine to its knees. I am now using the new Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and so far it has been great. Used in combination with the built in Windows Firewall, I have had no problems. MSE is also very much less of a space hog, only requiring 11 MEG as compared to the others which all require 30 MEG plus.

MSE is available from Microsoft as a free download. If you should try it - make absolutely sure that any remnants of any other security package are swept clean. That is true no matter what security system you are using, they only work to their best if the machine is clear of all others.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
This seems to come up from time to time.

1) Common sense

2) A good program. ESET is the undisputed champ when it comes to lightweight AND effective. Others may be as effective, but resource hogs.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Pinksnappercatcher (3/12/2010)I just bought a new laptop and it came with 6 months free antivirus, spyware, ect.. What brand is the best out there? What do most of you use? Thanks for the help.
It's too late for this but you should have bought an Apple, no virus's ever!!! But since you didn't Avast home is free and works good in conjunction with spybot.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been doing IT work for 20+years. I instruct everyone to use the free version of AVG and keep malwarebytes ready.

The combination of the two has never let me down. But, if you are going into mine fields you will step on one or two. Nothing...I repeat NOTHING can protect you 100%!

Many of the other antivirus programs listed above work great as well. Just keep it up to date and be careful where you tread.

·
Registered
490 Posts
TURTLE (3/12/2010)
Pinksnappercatcher (3/12/2010)I just bought a new laptop and it came with 6 months free antivirus, spyware, ect.. What brand is the best out there? What do most of you use? Thanks for the help.

It's too late for this but you should have bought an Apple, no virus's ever!!! But since you didn't Avast home is free and works good in conjunction with spybot.

X2 = APPLE / MAC It is nice being part of a smaller user group your not targeted as much, if at all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts