Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pick up some fiberglass mat for a few small things, recoring a seat top, and possibly filling for some stress cracks repairs. Was going to pickup some 1708 biaxle mat from a retailer on e-bay for about $45 for a 5 yard by 50" piece. I know nothing about fiberglass, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction here.

Daniel

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Mat is mat and nothing else. Biaxel is Mat and roven woven. Biaxle is used to make thickness and strength. If you need to cover something for sealing and for small stress cracks you need just Matting

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Biaxel is Mat and roven woven.

Nope! It is not Roven Woven.

Woven Roven with mat stitched to it is called Stitchmat or Fabmat.

Biaxal has strands running in 2 directions and has a light layer of mat stitched to it. It is NOT woven and is stronger than woven due to the strands not being kinked. The strands can be orientated at +45deg/-45deg or 0deg/90degs.

Read this and you will learn a lot.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16723&SearchTerms=types,of,fiberglass

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
X-Shark (3/27/2010)
Biaxel is Mat and roven woven.
Nope! It is not Roven Woven.

Woven Roven with mat stitched to it is called Stitchmat or Fabmat.

Biaxal has strands running in 2 directions and has a light layer of mat stitched to it. It is NOT woven and is stronger than woven due to the strands not being kinked. The strands can be orientated at +45deg/-45deg or 0deg/90degs.

Read this and you will learn a lot.

http://www.classicmako.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16723&SearchTerms=types,of,fiberglass

My mistake, You learn something new every day. The point was that the thicker stuff probably would be too thick for what he was using it for and would be a waste of money. It would have been nice to have biaxle when I built my boat. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts