Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Jackson Coosa. It is about 11.2 feet long. It was made for rapids and rivers. I used it all last year in the saltwater and it did alright.

What qualities do you want in a kayak for saltwater, both inshore and offshore. (excluding mirage drive)

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well I'm still pretty new to saltwater yaking but my reasons for upgrading from a 10' Pelican to a 12' Perception Pescador are-
Tracking #1
Space #2
It had a nice seat #3
I could rig it the way I want (I like the Yak mold setup) #4

Sent from my S3 using Forum Runner

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess my question is, Do I need to get a Cuda 14 for saltwater? Does it make that much of a difference or be of better benefit to me? I know I could cover more water faster.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
I've never paddled a Jackson so I can't give comparison but speed doesn't mean that much to me it's tracking that matters. You don't want to waste energy swinging all over the place. Stability and storage space or only slightly more important to me than the tracking.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Loading and unloading

I just got a 14 MR and it has turned out to be a little more than me and wife want to lift up onto my Rav 4. At store it seemed light? Not sure I want to keep it now. Consider loading/unloading.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a Jackson Cuda last year after renting one from Pensacola Kayak and Sail. I fished it last summer back home in TN. Brought it back with me this week, and yesterday fished 7.7 mi with it. It did extremely well, and I'm very pleased with the yak. Crossing Big Lagoon got a little spirited on the way back, and I'm glad I was in the boat I was. The Coosa might have been a bit small, but it would have done VERY well in on the flats I'd bet.

I have no interest in fishing offshore, but for intracoastal, the Cuda's a very good boat, IMHO.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
If your not going offshore I think u are good with the coosa. IT might get tossed around a bit in rough days in the bay but i think ud be ok.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I guess my question is, Do I need to get a Cuda 14 for saltwater? Does it make that much of a difference or be of better benefit to me? I know I could cover more water faster.
How far out are you planing on going? IMO 12' is perfect. I can get out 2 miles pretty quick for a yak. But most of the fish I cought last year Kings,Spanish,and sharks was within a mile and all was in a $300 10 ft pelican.

·
Registered
671 Posts
As a reference point, I fished from a 11.5' Pelican for 5 years and upgraded to an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 last summer and the difference was night and day between the two. I fish inshore and offshore (within 2 miles of the beach) and the stability, speed and tracking is worlds better in the Trident than it will ever be in the Pelicans. If you can find a used Trident or OK you will pay twice the price of a new Pelican/Presc but get way more than twice the yak for the money. IMHO

1 - 12 of 12 Posts