Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sat a spot this morning where i know deer cross frequently. about 6:20ish i saw a big bodied deer come out about 100yrds from me, i knew the thing was a buck soon as i seen him. I guess i got a little excited and moved a bit too quick cause when i got him in my scope he was staring right at me. we faced off for a minute but i didnt shoot because i couldnt confirm horns in the dim light (last time i didnt confirm it was expensive) as he decided he wasnt happy with his surroundings and bounced off his big ol' horns shined bright as day :cry: i tried to hit my grunt call and he didnt care for that to much, he started blowing and got gone..............so heres my question. do ya'll think hes gone for good ?? i got down later and stood where he stood and there's no way he got a positive i.d. on me and the wind was brisk blowing straight from him to me.... i probably shouldn't have grabbed my grunt :wallbash:

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
He will be back. They're creatures of habit and it takes something really serious to change their pattern. If the wind was in your favor he didnt know what you were but wasn't taking any chances. Stuff like this happens to them all the time in the wild. I'd be right back in the same spot in the morning. Sometimes people tend to give a buck to much credit. They're far dumber than a doe.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Older bucks rarely make the same mistake twice. He will most likely look at that spot when he comes thru there now...so if you can, (ie climber) switch trees.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Older bucks rarely make the same mistake twice. He will most likely look at that spot when he comes thru there now...so if you can, (ie climber) switch trees.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^ Move to a different tree,He will prolly come from down wind of the tree he saw u in.;)

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im gonna go in there again after a few days.. switching trees sounds like a real good idea hope i can put eyes on him again

·
Registered
586 Posts
Your putting too much though into it. My opinion and from experience is this: you don't have to worry about spooking him once or twice and he never coming back-but if you did this repeated than it would change things up. Deer have patterns and pretty well stick to it unless something changes it drastically as mentioned earlier,. Before long your buck is only gonna have one thing on his mind and nothing else will matter

·
Registered
654 Posts
I sat a spot this morning where i know deer cross frequently. about 6:20ish i saw a big bodied deer come out about 100yrds from me, i knew the thing was a buck soon as i seen him. I guess i got a little excited and moved a bit too quick cause when i got him in my scope he was staring right at me. we faced off for a minute but i didnt shoot because i couldnt confirm horns in the dim light (last time i didnt confirm it was expensive) as he decided he wasnt happy with his surroundings and bounced off his big ol' horns shined bright as day :cry: i tried to hit my grunt call and he didnt care for that to much, he started blowing and got gone..............so heres my question. do ya'll think hes gone for good ?? i got down later and stood where he stood and there's no way he got a positive i.d. on me and the wind was brisk blowing straight from him to me.... i probably shouldn't have grabbed my grunt :wallbash:
I think you are S.O.L. cause I know where u hunting at and im gonna hunt there till he shows back up lol... Well maybe Sunday he will show back up for us or we can go where your wife saw bucky come out of our little spot????

·
Registered
14,772 Posts
Y'all c'mon! Deer are stupid and he was probably back thru there later that afternoon. I will say that if it was a huge horned deer you would have seen the horns. Fog and mist make deer look black & huge

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i seen his horns plain as day when he turned and ran ill be back the next morning the wind is right hopefully ill be posting pics soon :) and jason ill see you tomorrow buddy ive got another area i want to try out but if your hellbent on the spot by my house go for it !!!

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well its pretty official..........sat the same tree this morning he walked out of the exact spot he did before. he's a respectable 8 i stopped him with a grunt at a shy 100yrds and couldnt get comfortable with my rifle finally got situated put the crosshairs on his shoulder and BOOM !!! he just stood there ?? i threw another round in but before i could get the shot off he bounced out of my life just like that. i checked my rifle before i left the woods and its dead nuts on. im kicking myself right now this has been a year of heartbreak for me ive seen four fine B.W. bucks with no shots and now i finally get a shot and i flunk it WTF i hope this season turns around for me soon

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Two years ago in February I grunted an 8 point in on our private land. He came in grunting from the north (behind me). He busted me. He took off running with his tail down. Never blowing. 7 days later I am sitting in the same tree. After hitting the hypergrowl a few times the same buck comes charging in from the south east with his head up looking for a fight. I dropped him in his tracks. Point is, be patient. These bucks lose their minds when the rut is in full swing. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh i WILL be back .............me n him got business

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
I say move the stand slightly, and here is why:

One cool overcast January Sunday afternoon about 10 years ago I shot twice AT a very nice buck chasing a hot doe.
I sat that tree every day, all day until the following Wednesday afternoon when he came thru traveling in the opposite direction.
I was waiting, ready and the .270 put him down.
One of the most gratifying things to me is to target a specific deer, and then be successful in that endeavor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts