Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone i was wanting to increase my tackle selection with stuff that works... so i ask what works for you mainly on king mackerel?

This is what i have been using all year with good results...

Tabers

http://youtu.be/mOQgHStwpkI

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I troll with Obama quotes
:notworthy:

In seriousness though, it depends on conditions and where I am. For inshore, my favorites are gold spoons and small-medium shallow diving crank baits like yo-zuri's and X-raps. Offshore, I like bigger X-raps and yo-zuri's, both deep and shallow diving.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
180 Posts
Somewhat of a noob with one of those kind of questions.

When trolling for kings just offshore (less than a mile) why troll? If you are in the target zone of water why not drift and fan cast as you go? It seems that you would cover the same amount of water, just differently.
To stay on topic, I have only done this a couple of times this past summer. I used large spoons (gold or silver) and dusters (white, chartruse, pink) with cigar minnows. I had what I would consider fair luck.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Somewhat of a noob with one of those kind of questions.

When trolling for kings just offshore (less than a mile) why troll? If you are in the target zone of water why not drift and fan cast as you go? It seems that you would cover the same amount of water, just differently.
To stay on topic, I have only done this a couple of times this past summer. I used large spoons (gold or silver) and dusters (white, chartruse, pink) with cigar minnows. I had what I would consider fair luck.
About drifting. I usually catch a lot more sharks and remoras when drifting vs trolling. And I keep it original most the time with a butt naked cigar with a king rig

·
Registered
398 Posts
Frozen cigar minnow on a Stinger rig with a long skirt that looks like pink/green Christmas tree tinsel has been my go to rig. I will get 5:1 hookups to any other color.

Regarding the troll vs drift approach, I prefer to troll with two or three lines out. Do you guys who drift get more than one bait in the water?

Multiple lines is also why I typically avoid live hardtails. With two or more of them in the water, I often get tangled lines. Oddly enough, I get just as many hits on frozen cigs as live cigs and I don't waste prime fishing time making bait.

Ted

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
what color dusters do you all find works best?
And what size islander do you use? i have some of the heavy weight 4oz for high speed trolling wahoo ... but i have found some 6inch 1oz on sale for about 14$ would those be too large for a yak?

Thanks again guys!

·
OSOK
4,157 Posts
Naked live bait with a circle hook is always my choice.....you may miss a few kings from short strikes but when a sail, phin, or bft comes along you will get a for sure solid hook up. I still catch plenty of kings, mostly bigger ones, on that rig also. Usually with smaller live baits the big kings will swallow them whole anyways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts