Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Bonito are really good shark bait. I also like to use them when im grouper fishing, take a fillet and drop it down. I've caught alot of big grouper doing that.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
They make good trolling strips, are good AJ baits, work well for chunking for tuna and are great shark baits too. They do good in a crab trap and also are a good pin fish bait. They are also not too bad to eat if you bleed them! Nothing like a real tuna but if you prepare them right, you will be happy with the results.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
snapper and grouper bait, and pin fish traps

·
Registered
812 Posts
Bleed, romove the bloodline and let sit until the next day. Grill like tuna. Not too bad. Most of the ones around here are Little tunny anyways. or bait for all kinds of fish.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
BuckWild (1/5/2008)Bleed, romove the bloodline and let sit until the next day. Grill like tuna. Not too bad. Most of the ones around here are Little tunny anyways. or bait for all kinds of fish.
:sick:sick:sick

·
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
685 Posts
Just last month (after 35 years of scoffing at the idea) I finally triedone.

Like the others have said who have actually eaten some"It wasn't BAD." In fact I was pleasantly surprised and thought it tastedpretty good.

Itrimmed the filets and then sliced a filet into 'medallions'for sauting in olive oil.

The ones on the left were dipped in soy sauce prior to cooking, on the right I just dashed a little salt & pepper.

I tasted them both after cooking and actually prefered the ones on the right. The flavour was likea cross between blackfin tuna and king mackerel.

We made "tunny salad"with the rest and it was fine. In fact my wife (who is a VERY picky fish eater) told me it was "Better than ANY canned tuna." :)

So now I can add "They aren't bad." to "They make great bait, or shark or crab bait." ;-)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I slice most of the meat off the bonito filet so it is only 3/8 inch thick and then salt it with Kosher salt. The salt preserves it so it can be repeatedly thawed and refrozen. It also makes it tough. Good for strip baits for trolling, cut bait for triggers and grouper bait. Most fish will eat it. Cheap and holds up much better than squid.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts