Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a new Penn 8500SSV that I'm going to do some bottom fishing with. I'm planning on putting it on either a star or ugly stick jigging rod and spooling it with 80lb braid and having a short mono leader. Would you use the multi colored stuff or something different?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would run the PP Depth Hunter...I think someone threw a similar question up last week. Handy way to eyeball the amount of line out, nice in drifting with current.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've got a new Penn 8500SSV that I'm going to do some bottom fishing with. I'm planning on putting it on either a star or ugly stick jigging rod and spooling it with 80lb braid and having a short mono leader. Would you use the multi colored stuff or something different?
80lb braid may be a little overkill on it. It’s spec shows the highest rating at 470/65. Of course you can go 80lb, but you’ll be losing another 30 yds or so. Not to mention the smaller diameter, the better it’ll cut through the water in a current. There’s not a huge difference in the PP’s Depth Hunters 65lb & 80lb diameters, but every little bit helps. Also, since there’s no give or stretch in the braid, you may want to (strongly) consider leaving a little spool room for a 15-20’ topshot of fluoro or mono tied to the braid with an Alberto knot or something similar. Not sure what type of rod action you’re thinking about, but the topshot will provide a little stretch so you won’t pull as many hooks, and it helps pulling one over the side.

I have several reels spooled with the multi-colored line. Overall, I like it. The only big downfall I’ve found is when using it on conventional reels, the dye from the different colors will pretty much tattoo your finger when working the line back on.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking for a 50-80# Star or Tiger lite jigging rod. With 300 yards of the 80# braid I should still be able to get on about 30 yards of 80# mono or flouro. Since I'm just planning on a 5-6' leader that should be plenty room. Since I'm only down one week a year I want the best shot of pulling up a fish. I figure the extra 15# can't hurt.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
I much prefer conventional reels and here is why.

First, many conventional reels are much lighter for the same line capacity. Second, with a spinning reel, your line is down under the rod where it can be dragged against the rail and frayed or broken. Third, conventional reels, with the same line pick-up speed (not gear ratio) are far easier to crank.

I'm talking about brute force here.

Te line to leader connection, the FG knot rules.

I like the metered braid. When you are jigging for suspended fish, it sure makes a huge difference. Counting down works, but, when I glance at my DF and see big fish suspended at 200 feet in 7,000 feet, I tend to get flustered.

I'm glad I am too old for Tuna anymore. Too dang much work.
Grouper are bad enough but sure taste better.

·
Registered
600 Posts
When I was first spooling my bottom setups, I always went bigger, but in actuality, there are few fish in the ocean that warrant using 80 or 100 pound gear.

With that being said, it doesn't hurt to have a bigger conventional reel spooled with some heavy duty stuff for those odd grouper or AJ that own your lighter stuff.

I don't have experience with the Depth Hunter line, but it sounds nice in theory.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
First, many conventional reels are much lighter for the same line capacity. Second, with a spinning reel, your line is down under the rod where it can be dragged against the rail and frayed or broken. Third, conventional reels, with the same line pick-up speed (not gear ratio) are far easier to crank.

I'm talking about brute force here.

Te line to leader connection, the FG knot rules.

I like the metered braid. When you are jigging for suspended fish, it sure makes a huge difference. Counting down works, but, when I glance at my DF and see big fish suspended at 200 feet in 7,000 feet, I tend to get flustered.

I'm glad I am too old for Tuna anymore. Too dang much work.
Grouper are bad enough but sure taste better.
Already have the reel. Do have a beefed up 60/W on a penn 50-80# rod with roller guide that already has 80 braid and 60# mono. I think it has around 35# of drag. Just wanted a big spinner.

Got my metered line ordered but looking for a rod. Found a tiger jigging rod and Penn rampage both for about $80 at BPS. Got a couple BPS gift cards from Students for Christmas :thumbup: and could get one for $20 of my own money. :D

Which would you do?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts