Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i am new to fishing during the winter i go fishing in destin in the bay and out the pass about 8 or 9 miles what can you catch when it gets cold gave up hunting to fish.

·
Registered
944 Posts
A COLD!!!!

Just kidding. Many of the same fish you catch in the summer can caught in the winter, with exception of a few of the non-cold tolerant fishes like mackerel and Mahi. Some fish move to deeper water when it gets cold like trout and redfish, where as others like gag grouper move into shallower waters.

·
Registered
6,846 Posts
Sheepshead .... lots of sheepshead

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I like to surf fish during the fall early winter. Its nice, cool and You can catch red fish and other drum and whiting and sometimes pompano. Well not me heck I cant ever catch a pompano. But I'm still trying.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Where do you catch convict fish in the winter? I love those tasty things but I have fits trying to catch them. Any artificials work good for them or do I need to buy live shrimp/hermit crabs?

We have had success under the Destin bridge. Get right up next to the pilings and drop straight down. You can see them if the water is clear enough. Live shrimp.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The structure in and around perdido pass, but the sheapshead fishing is always better for me in early spring than it is the winter. March is usually my best month, and I don't start fooling with them until late feb. December and Jan are mostly white trout, ground mullet, and redfish around deep water structure inshore.

·
Registered
69 Posts
^ I would do that too, but without a boat winter trout fishing is hard to say the least. Trying to find something to keep my from going insane during the colder months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts