Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of nice pics on all of the forum and am in the market for one. Which camera do you guys recommend? I don't want to risk loosing my iPhone taking a picture of my dinner menu.:)

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Some guys use some pretty expensive stuff from Nikon and Canon. I usually just use my iPhone or Olympus. Bear in mind you can get the floating life jackets for the iPhone. I've taken some great pics with mine....including the pic in my avatar.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,527 Posts
Bought this one awhile back and it takes great pics and video. Has a float strap on it. Also came with a tripod that I can wrap around the aluminum grab rail. I don't remember how much I paid, but it was pretty reasonable.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cameras

Chief,
The most likely candidate will be the GoPro and there are several models depending on your appetite for quality which equates to price paid. I just purchased a Sony HDR-AS100V about a month ago on PFF from Chad. In my mind I wasn't sure how much it would be put to use but so far it has been great.

GoPro makes a great product and their marketing dept. does an even better job. Now, having said that, no offense to the GoPro guys, the Sony actually gets better marks in side-by-side comparisons. Here is the link for you to review and I think this guy doesn't really have a bias either way.

You should be able to pick up the camera with waterproof case and a couple of mounts for around $189.00 new on Amazon or eBay, be prepared to spend some more for the mounts you need, then some for additional memory cards and stuff. You could easily spend $250.00 or up depending on what accessories you purchase, both the Sony and GoPro are good products.

If you want more info PM me, be happy to help.
Frank

·
2019 Hobie outback
2,675 Posts
The canon t3i is not water proof or resistant but i keep it in a dry bag till time to pull out. This camera was around 500-600 but has held up to my abuse on kayak for over a year now and takes awesome pics.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Cameras

Chief,
I may have misread your question. Not sure if you are looking for a still image camera or one that can shoot video and stills. Both the GoPro and Sony can do both.

The Sony comes standard with a waterproof case that's rated down to 15 ft. for 30 minutes I believe. GoPro has a similar case and you can get 3rd party cases that are rated to depths greater than that.

Hope this helps.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,902 Posts
I use a Nikon D3300 with the 18-55mm kit lense for all of my fishing photos. Occasionally I'll use my Nikon D40 if I haven't charged the battery in the 3300.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts