Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type battery do you guys use to power your electronics on your yaks? Today, I am installing fishfinders on mine and my wife's prowlers. I also have a gheenoe that I had a fishfinder on. For it, I used a Yuasa SLA1075, but had problems. My trips are often 6 or 8 hours and it would go dead. The repeated deep cycling killed it in short order. And yes, I was charging it on a smart charger capable of charging them correctly. :)

I was thinking of a lawn tractor battery, but don't think they make one that is deep cycle. Obviously, I want to keep the size and weight down.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the battery that I am currently using. I only get 6-8 hour charge out of it before it goes dead. repeatedly killing battery shortened it's life to less than a year. Later in life, I was only getting a hour or two out of it.

I'm using it on a humminbird 798ci HD with GPS, sidescan and down imaging. Also has color screen. I'm sure it is a power hog as far as fishfinders go.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The deer feeder batterys at Academy are hard to beat. I have been using one for a couple years. It will last at least 8 hours and probably a lot more with a color fishfinder.
That is the same battery that I am currently using. Mine came out of hospital grade battery backup UPS's. It is the same battery with a different logo printed on the side.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Make it a Grady Day.
2,784 Posts
thinking out of the box here; ever consider installing an umbrealla with a solar recharger &/or a hot spare?

·
Registered
870 Posts
They make all ranges of Ah for the 12 volt sealed batteries. Most people use a 7Ah or 9Ah, but 8 hours is a long trip. Do you really need the finder on the entire 8 hours? Most likely not, so you can try turning it off unless you need it to conserve battery. As said, maybe look into a solar charger to trickle charge while you are out. Maybe bring a second battery that is 5Ah and have a 9Ah one as your primary?

A lot of options for you, but in a kayak space and weight are limited so you just gotta figure you what is best for you.

·
Registered
519 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts