Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was on way home from work coming through Bagdad
Crossed the railroad tracks and saw 6 or 7 trucks parked by the bridge and 7 or 8 guys, all younger, fishing from the bridge. Never seen this before. What are they targeting??
Thanks

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Saw the same when I was taking my son out to dinner this evening, one was flipping a fish over the rail but I didn't see for sure what it was. Looked about the size of a mullet, so that sounds about right. Saw lots of surface rings on the water just downstream of the bridge on the way back through, mullet jumping I assume. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Yup. They get really thick coming under the bridge right there. Good days you can get a bucket full quick.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Yup. They get really thick coming under the bridge right there. Good days you can get a bucket full quick.

Is this a seasonal thing? I have lived in Milton close to 3 years but that's the first time I recall seeing the bridge with people fishing like that?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn that sounds fun. Might give it a try.
Tides matter that far up stream?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Mullet are moving up river for sure. I live on Black Creek river in Freeport and the LY`s and mullet are thick up by my dock. With the lack of rain, the salt water moves up river and therefore brings up the bait.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
They are snatching mullet from the pond creek bridge between Milton and Baghdad. Late summer every year especially when there has been a lack of rain. Mullet will be thick in there.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I gotta try this...
Can someone post an example of the type of rig to use. You just wait for a school to come by and cast in front of them then snatch??

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
I gotta try this...
Can someone post an example of the type of rig to use. You just wait for a school to come by and cast in front of them then snatch??
It's a weighted treble hook. Or you tie a big treble up the line and and weight to the tag end of your line

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I went to the mullet hole in Milton on Tuesday. Caught 17 big ones. They sure haven't been many caught this year.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
When I was a kid years ago down south in Cape Coral we snagged mullet as much as we could. We would fill up trash cans fulls in the large canals as they ran. The water was black with so many of them. Wore us out! A lot of fun. Not nearly as thick these days down there but dang that was fun.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Were in Bagdad did you see this ? What road ? I live in Milton and can not picture were you are talking about.
Canal Street aka Forsyth Street, the bridge that goes over Pond Creek is to where the original poster was referring. Just North of Bagdad Mill Site Park.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Tuesday I didn't see any schools come by the boat. Usually a long flow of fish about 10' wide will follow each other along the shoreline. I have caught very few just throwing a treble amongst them and snatching. They disperse quickly and then join back together. The best way to do it is to chum them and get fish to come to your bait. I have been snatching for mullet for years. Another expert on the subject is forum member Fishwalton.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,073 Posts
Where is the mullet hole??
There's several mullet "holes", most of them you'll need a boat to get to them. For the land access ones, there's 1 between the milton sewer plant and blackwater river, just south of the train trestle, or more commonly referred to as the shit-hole. Going to bagdad from town, just as you cross over the train tracks, turn left. Go to stop sign (holding your nose due to raw sewage stank), turn left and before you cross the tracks there, turn to the right and go to the waters edge. I see people there all the time fishing it when I pass by in the boat.
Another one is at the bagdad oyster pile landing, fish the south dock. Another is the dock at carpenter's park in milton, the only fishing dock is on east side.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
There was a place that you could fish from the bank off of Ward Basin Road. Turn onto Morrell Road and it dead ends at a boat ramp. Someone bought the surrounding property so I am not sure if you can fish there now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts