Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught a red the other day form the GOM. Fish measured 27" and upon close inspection I noticed these hair like red plugs coming ou of their dorsal fins and some out of his side body...some were in the tail as well. NOt only look nasty , but checking the fish even closer I noticed some tinny bug like (two eyes on top) kinda of parasites on his mouth, gills and lower body. The whole fish deal turned me off big time and saddlyI had to pass on this one. Later that week I caught a bluck drum of the beach again and got a closer look around his back and found some of these small creatures on his back and fins...A week later right under the three mile a Red of similar size had the same red hairplugs and parasites around his body. I don't know, but I now check my fish really close beforeI even keep it. Some nasty &^%t if you ask me..I've seen fish with barnicles growing of his tails, even warms in specs and sheepies but never something like in the pics below.If you know what these are I'll be glad to hear more about it...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
We caught and cleaned a bunch of black drum the other day..3-6lb range..Had a few on them but does not seems to affect the meat

·
Super Moderator
27,931 Posts
About every red I've caught (slot to bigger) have them worm dewmahickies on em....1's kept never hurt the meat...

·
Roll Tider
2,662 Posts
Those are sea lice and do not effect the meat at all. As for the worms found in trout, they are harmless as well, and cook out during any kind of cooking, particularly frying. Very common to find these on fish

1 - 10 of 10 Posts