Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cobia fishing today, we stumbled across this big guy! I think a few other boats might have seen the same whale. It was spotted just outside the sandbar a tad east of Portifino. When we fished back toward Ft. Pickens we spotted it again. Can anyone tell what type of whale it is?

·
Registered
363 Posts
not a whale expert, but a sperm whale's blowhole would be on the left side of his head, not down his centerline. hard to tell where centerline is in the photo. he also seems more streamline than sperm whale. like i said not an expert, but i wouldnt be betting on sperm whale.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking at pictures of different whales on google but can't really identify it. But then again the picture I got isn't the greatest. I also got a video of it but it doesn't help much either because the whale stayed down. I was hoping to get footage of it blowing water out of its blow hole. I was fishing on the Bamboo Vic II which is a 26 ft boat and this thing was longer than the boat. We estimated about 30-35 ft long. The blow hole was located dead center on top. I looked at pictures of a sperm whale and the tail doesn't match up to what we saw today.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reeltime you got it! After looking at pictures of fin whales, I can see that its head, tail, blow hole, and that dorsel fin way in the back all fit this whale we saw today. Thanks a lot! It was a very cool sight. I have seen whale sharks and humpbacks before but not one of these.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
A Fin or Finback Whale usually has a whitish sadle behind the head and its hard to tell if its there in the photo. Finbacks are generally uncommon in our area so I would say its either a Sei (pronounced "Say") or a Bryde's (Broo-des) Whale. They are the 2 most common baleen whales in the gulf and the physical characteristics match both but without a better pic its hard to tell which.

Very cool by the way.

We found a dead bottlenose dolphin 8 miles offshore today. Not quite as great of a story.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

This is a picture off the internet. Everything in this picture is the way it looked to us when we saw it. I really wish I had a camera and could have snapped better pics. All pics were taken from a cell phone. These whales were heavily hunted in the twentieth century and are considered an endangered species. They can reach lengths up to 88 ft long! They are the second largest mammal to the Blue Whale.

·
FORMER Shore & Pier Guide
687 Posts
It may be a Fin whale, or a Sperm whale like the one we saw from Navarre & Pcola Bch piers in 2004...

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=524&posts=5

Either way this man would very much like to hear about it (he may be able to provide a positive ID too)

Thomas D. Pitchford
Wildlife Biologist
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Florida Marine Research Institute
Marine Mammal Pathobiology Lab
3700 54th Avenue South
St. Petersburg, FL 33711
Ph: 727/893-2904
Fx: 727/893-2907

Tom.Pitchford@MyFWC.com

Please report the sighting by calling the following numbers with an accurate location and description of the sighting:

In Florida, call FWC?s Wildlife Alert Toll-Free Number 1-888-404-FWCC (1-888-404-3922) Cellular phone customers - *FWC or #FWC

·
Registered
638 Posts
We went surf fishing that way yesterday. As soon as my brother looked out into the water he saw a whale. It didn't come up again so I thought Yea Right. I guess I believe him now! Cool photos!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I posted on the inshore reports that we spotted a whale in the bay on Saturday. I didn't actually see it but 3 of my crew did. They reported that it looked like a 30 ft submarine. I mentioned this report to them and showed them the pictures last night and they all said this was what they saw. We were just East of where the Lexington used to dock.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
A buddy of mine called me Sunday and said he saw a huge whale in the bay just inside the pass. I told him he was F.O.S.. . Guess he wasn't.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I saw the whale Sunday on my way back from Pensacola to Panama City, and my buddy thought i was crazy . It came up once and blew one big plume of water. I thought to myself i was crazy too as it did not come up again.

Guess i was right .....seems weird to be that close into the beach by its self so shallow.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts