Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Biologists at the University of Southern Mississippi?s Gulf Coast Research Laboratory (GCRL) in Ocean Springs, Mississippi are studying whale sharks in the northern Gulf of Mexico. If you encounter a whale shark, you can help the GCRL biologists learn about whale shark occurrence and distribution in the northern Gulf by participating in GCRL?s ONLINE WHALE SHARK SIGHTINGS SURVEY.

To Report a Sighting:

Please complete the survey at http://www.usm.edu/gcrl/whaleshark

Information that is helpful to us includes:

? Time and duration of encounter

? Location (GPS coordinates)

? Approximate size and number of sharks

? Observed behavior

? Associated species

? Photos/video (especially of the region behind the gill slits on the left side of the animal?this is used for identification)

? Any other distinguishing features (i.e. numbered marker tags located behind the dorsal fin?please notate number)

Your participation is greatly appreciated and vital to a better understanding of whale shark movements and habitat in the Gulf of Mexico. Thank you.

Now join us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/whalesharkresearch

·
Registered
337 Posts
They aretrying to put sea turtles on the endangered species list. The population of them has been increasing but any off shore oil exploration or new oil rigs could wipe them out in a matter of weeks. That is why the Obama administration needs them added immediately.

·
Registered
71 Posts
All six species of sea turtles occurring in the U.S. are protected under the Endangered Species Act of 1973.

Beach Development impacts Sea Turtles to a far greater extent than oil rigs off shore ever could.

Making outlandish and unsupported claims has become a hall mark of the "environmental" movement.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Gee I sure hope more "scientific research" is done concerning the lack of red snapper and gag grouper. Seeing as how I catch them more than anything else if I'm fishing offshore. I'm sorry I misspoke/typed, plus red grouper too. Let's just spend our money on licenses and gas and gear and go fishing and hope the money goes to where it's suppose to go (which it doesn't). Damn haven't been back on here for about 10 minutes and de-railing a post already. I hope the whale shark population is healthier than the supposed red snapper/gag grouper population according to the "scientists".

·
Registered
9,782 Posts
wow, how come everything comes out as trying to take something from you. i spent some time on their facebook page, even became a fan. Seems interesting to me, I'll report the sighting of a whale shark if I see any to them.

Have any of you ever caught a shark with a tag in them? We have tagged a good number in the name of research, however i have never "re-caught" a tagged shark yet. Would be interesting to do a little research of my own when we do come across a tagged shark of where the thing was first tagged.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts