Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have three wet slips on my pier. was wondering what every ones thoughts are on my ability to rent these slips. they are gulf accessible. in a well protected deep body of water. (bayou grande)

the only physical obstacle is the navy bridge. which can accommodate everything but sail boats and sportfishers with high towers.

would be willing to rent at a lower cost than local marinas.

is this possible?

what are the legal problems?

what about insurance?

would appreciate any input.

thanks mark

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You should require the boat owner to prove and give you a copy of his insurance which would insure his boat. I think it would be tough getting much interest for someone to keep a boat back there due to the bridge clearance. On the other hand, if you had a boat lift to keep 20-30ft boats on you might get more interest. Most walkarounds and center consoles will be able to clear the bridge but most people dont want to bottom paint and leave these boats in the water. Also, Lost Key Marina is at $10 a foot and is about 1 mile from the pass. So if I were looking, you would have to be in the ballpark of 5-6 dollars a foot to get my interest. Either way, you already got the dock so its a win win situation for you.....Good Luck:letsdrink

·
Registered
656 Posts
Water Hazard (1/15/2010)You should require the boat owner to prove and give you a copy of his insurance which would insure his boat. I think it would be tough getting much interest for someone to keep a boat back there due to the bridge clearance. On the other hand, if you had a boat lift to keep 20-30ft boats on you might get more interest. Most walkarounds and center consoles will be able to clear the bridge but most people dont want to bottom paint and leave these boats in the water. Also, Lost Key Marina is at $10 a foot and is about 1 mile from the pass. So if I were looking, you would have to be in the ballpark of 5-6 dollars a foot to get my interest. Either way, you already got the dock so its a win win situation for you.....Good Luck:letsdrink
Also have them name you and your property asan addtional insured party. I know a few people that rent their slips out on Ono with no problems.

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
Do you have shore power and water hook ups for the additional boat slips? That makes a difference too, also how would you calculate consumption of shore utilities?

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
nextstep (1/15/2010)i

is this possible?

Yes, I know several on Bayou Chico that do this in their backyard.

what are the legal problems?

Zoning, which would only matter if someone complained. You maybe OK in this area.

Many local marinas mandate hurricaneevacuation.

Live-a-boards? with dogs! I ask cause I know one that may want to move, yet again. He is military police. His boat fits under the bridge.

what about insurance?

I would want an Umbrella policy for myself of at least $1,000,000.00. Maybe even up to $5,000,000.00. Umbrellas are not that expensive. I believe every one that has a business should have on of these.

Local marinas mandate that I have have a set limit of liability on my vessel policy, and then theymandate that they are an additional insured on that policy. The cost is $25.00 to add the marina.

I would want a good solid lease, a copy from a local marina would be used as a template to create my own custom lease. This lease has a solid hold harmless clause and placesall liability on the vessel owner.And I believe you do want you a lease, not just a hand shake.

would appreciate any input.

Of course, you backyard privacy will be diminished.

I pay about $425.00 for my slip, 37' x 14 vessel. This includes power, which is metered. I do not use much power now, but I have in the past. I once kept the AC on 24 - 7 during the summer. I used about $60.00 per month in doing so. Some marinas do not have each slip metered and just charge a flat fee for power, depending on usage and live-a-aboard. Some of the marinas are now cutting prices even more, as very few of them are filled to capacity.

The power source needed is two 30 amp 110 volt marine outlets. Water supply is easy. Some marinas only have a single 50 amp 110 volt outlet. If two 30 amp are then required a splitter is needed. I paid $320.00 for the splitter "Y" adapter 2 years ago. I think they are now around $275.00. I am about to sell it for $200.00, used 4 days.

thanks mark

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I do not believe your standard homeowner's insurance policy will cover liabilities related to a commercial venture. A small commercial policy, by requiring each vessel owner to provide proof of insurance and naming you as loss payee, should not be that expensive. You can build the cost of insurance into the lease price so that the lessee pays for your insurance.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to everyone for the input.:letsdrink

there is a lot of good advice and information available on the pff:letsdrink

thanks again everybody

mark

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
You may become liable for Florida's Submerged Lands Lease Fee, about $0.12 per square foot annually. Say you have a 100' dock and a lot 50' wide, that's about $600 each year + the hassle of dealing with the alpha hotels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts