Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried ice from the convenience and grocery stores, which is usually the most expensive but coldest. I have used the Twice the Ice machines, which are cheap, but the ice is very wet already, so it is melting, my 15 lb bag turns into all water in about 8 hours.
It seems to me the longest lasting ice is the coldest ice, no matter what cooler model you have.
I wish Twice the Ice would dispense a COLDER ice.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Block ice with salt sprinkled on it. The salt will lower the water temperature below 32* so the ice will last longer. Keep an ice pick handy if you need to bust the block into smaller pieces. Table salt or rock salt either will work just depends on what you’re putting in the cooler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hook

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
If an ice machine had colder ice it would all freeze into one huge block. My 2 buddies withgulf boats each have a chest freezer and they keep about ten bags of "twice the ice" ice in there. It is cheap that way and is also colder. Not the most convenient to some but it works for us.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
last trip, i froze 6 gal milk jugs and that lasted a pretty good while with the "twice the ice". but we had to come back in due to a spun hub (shit happens). no fish so we had plenty of ice. lol.

jack

·
Registered
484 Posts
We put ice (wet or frozen) in bags in the bottom of the cooler with a few slabs of dry ice on top of them. Within a few hours the bag ice is frozen hard solid and lasts a LONG time

·
270 World Cat
109 Posts
If an ice machine had colder ice it would all freeze into one huge block. My 2 buddies withgulf boats each have a chest freezer and they keep about ten bags of "twice the ice" ice in there. It is cheap that way and is also colder. Not the most convenient to some but it works for us.
This! I bag up ice from the small-ish ice machine I have, then store in a chest freezer. That way, I've always got hard frozen ice ready to go!

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
I built a wood box and fiberglassed the inside bottom. Box fits inside my freezer. Get chip ice from the machines or a fish house. My box holds a 48 qt chest of ice. You will need something to break the chips apart when ready to use, the ice chips will freeze together when put in the freezer, not a block of ice the chips are easy to break up. A scoop is used to transfer ice from box to cooler. I never take the box out of the freezer. Sams has freezers for less than $200.

·
Registered
8,750 Posts
I bought some of those throw-away aluminum baking pans that are about the same dimensions as my cooler. That gives me 3-4” of ice covering the bottom of the cooler. Then I add cube ice as needed on top of drinks.
For a fish cooler I add a couple of big cubes that I freeze in an assortment of other containers. I never throw out a plastic container. I freeze it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts