Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Thursday afternoon, I picked up my neighbor and fishing buddy Mike as soon as he got off work. Head to NAS to do some Red fishing.... Thought we'd see what was in the pass. Caught 3 small (3') sharks and then hooked into what we thought was a big bull Red.. We were in about 53' of water, but could'nt get it to come up. It stayed under the boat, but after about 45 minutes, Mike was standing at the edge of the pontoon boat and could see the start of the leader(5' steel leader with circle hook). Just then we saw the tail and body of a BIG shark, it was about 4' down in front of the boat. The boat is 8 1/2' wide and the shark went from one side of the boat, toabout 3 to 4 feet pass the other side. It was a Hammer Head shark, Mike jumped back behind the rail.It went back down and after a few more minutes, it broke the line (14 lb. mono). I have seen big Hammer Heads around Ft. Pickens, but never hooked one....We later went over to NAS and Mike caught a nice Black Tip shark to take home for the grill.... Just before the sun went down, we sawthis double Rainbow. What a great night of fishing....

Mike with the Hammer Head on......

1 - 3 of 3 Posts